X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SupraLance
    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by PNW_Steve
    Now I have another question:

I have been reading and reading trying to educate myself.

I have read in a number of places that I should limit my charge rate to 10%-13% of the banks C20 rate. Example: if I run with the L16s then I would want 37A max charge.

I just stumbled across a thread directing a poster to bulk charge L16's at 30% of C20.

Now I am confused......
    I asked the same question last week, and the consensus seemed to be that a non-shorted battery will not pull more amps than it can safely use, even if many more are available. Volts are pushed, amps are pulled. So the 10-13% is the range of minimum amps available and neither number should be construed as a maximum.

Comment

• PNW_Steve
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Getting closer.

After much reading/research I am going with the:

L16 batteries (4S)
      300watt panels-6 connected 2s3p with a combiner and breakers
      PowerMax 24v 50 Amp charger

I will be significantly over paneled. My goal is to have plenty of capacity on less than ideal days. I would disconnect one string and run with 4 panels until it gets cloudy then switch the other two panels on .

I have also been looking at the Victron ORION 12/24-20 12v to 24v battery charger to charge my batteries when I am driving. Anyone here have any experience with these? Opinions?

Thanks Everyone.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Getting closer.

After much reading/research I am going with the:

L16 batteries (4S)
        300watt panels-6 connected 2s3p with a combiner and breakers
        PowerMax 24v 50 Amp charger

I will be significantly over paneled. My goal is to have plenty of capacity on less than ideal days. I would disconnect one string and run with 4 panels until it gets cloudy then switch the other two panels on..
        What makes you think you are over paneled other than more than the CC can handle. ? No need to switch anything in or out. L-16s are hybrid batteries and will have no problem handling 50 amps of charge current. The CC will just clip and limit charge current to 50 amps. You do not have to switch anything.

So where is your electronic battery Isolator so the engine alternator can charge the batteries?
        Last edited by Sunking; 05-19-2018, 04:00 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNW_Steve
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Sunking

What makes you think you are over paneled other than more than the CC can handle. ? No need to switch anything in or out. L-16s are hybrid batteries and will have no problem handling 50 amps of charge current. The CC will just clip and limit charge current to 50 amps. You do not have to switch anything.

So where is your electronic battery Isolator so the engine alternator can charge the batteries?
          Thank you for chiming in!!

On the "other forum" I mentioned over paneling and was sternly told that I would destroy my batteries.

I have read and read info regarding charging and the info that I have found online is conflicting. My investment in my battery bank is, to me, significant and I don't want to kill my batteries.

I have read the stickies here "are you killing your batteries" and want enough panels to make sure that I have the capability to fully charge my batteries and have been trying to balance that with the (mis)information I got from the other board.

I will carry on.

Thanks again.

S.

Comment

• PNW_Steve
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

I left something out of my previous post. I have decided to go with the Morningstar TS-60-MPPT charge controller.

That would allow up to 60 Amps charge current. Am I still OK?

The 50 Amp charger is for when I am on shore power or genny.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Yes, OK, and you can program current limits in the MS controllers (many of them). As the battery starts to charge at dawn, by mid day, it is partly charged and won't likely accept 40A of current, let alone 60A.
              Many more batteries die from undercharge than overcharge.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

I left something out of my previous post. I have decided to go with the Morningstar TS-60-MPPT charge controller.

That would allow up to 60 Amps charge current. Am I still OK?
                OK tap the breaks for a minuted, and let's see if I can make you relax.

You did not mention what manufacture and model number you L16 batteries are but based on being 6-Volts @ 370 AH I am going to assume Trojan L16E-AC. At any rate all L16's are hybrid batteries and you can charge up to C/4, at 60 amps is roughly C/6 so are not even close to pushing them. To help you relax more with your panel wattage of 1800 watts on an RV pointing straight up will never deliver calculated current of 1800 watts / 24 volts = 75 amps. C/4 on a 370 AH battery is 92 amps. So relax and don't worry about charging your batteries too fast. It is not a real issue.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNW_Steve
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2014

Thank you for the education.

I think I got some bad information and was over thinking it.

Comment

• Enough2Bdangerous
                    • Jun 2016

I would like some guidance here. I have virtually the same question. I have a camper with an iota dls-45 charger. I just purchased (2) t-105
                    Last edited by Enough2Bdangerous; 05-20-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Enough2Bdangerous
                      • Jun 2016

I

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by Enough2Bdangerous
                        I would like some guidance here. I have virtually the same question. I have a camper with an iota dls-45 charger. I just purchased (2) t-105
                        Don't give up. The forum software does not recognize the fonts many phones use. The simpler the text, the better.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Enough2Bdangerous
                          • Jun 2016

Lets try this again. I just purchased two T-105's, I have a camper with an Iota charger so I think it will maintain my batteries when I'm home. , well before I found this forum I purchased a 125 watt panel and a cheap 50 dollar controller. The panel makes 6 amps which is no where near the c/12 charge rate. So my question is this, is it worth dragging this panel around and setting it up every time we camp? I do not have the space for 3 panels to get to 18 amps. Will the single panel do more harm than good? Many thanks to all on the forum Especially Mike and Sunking

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Will not hurt, but will not help much either. Get yourself a Electronic Battery Isolator so the engine ealternator can charge the battery. The alternator will generate more energy than the panel can in a week.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• PNW_Steve
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2014

Hey Sunking,

I was eyeballing a Victron 12 volt to 24 volt / 20 Amp battery charger.

Do you think it would be worth fooling with in order to charge my house bank while driving?

Comment

• Mike90250
                                • May 2009

Is your house bank 24V ? Generally T-105's are only 6V, so 2 would be 12V ?

Comment

Working...