Lithium battery recommendations for Sprinter build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Withalligators
    • Feb 2017

The kid is only good to 500w. I will get an all new system for this ride.

I have the 144" wheelbase. I haven't even started measuring yet. Still insulating. But I think 250w panels would fit well without overhanging too much. Again, without measuring, I'm guessing I could fit 3 or 4. 4 would be ideal. 1000w rated.

I've looked at mini swamp coolers, and they seem cool, but seems like they blow through water and would actually require more weight on board and more trips to get water. As opposed to a window unit which is that, a genny, and a 5 gallon jerry.

I would have a reinforced hinge and rear rack put on the van, and mount it on the back door. I could store it at a friend's, or get a storage site. But I am very curious about this unit you mentioned (that's what she said).

The desert gets killer hot, and stays hot at night for many months. I have trouble sleeping when it's over 90. And there are many days it doesn't dip under 100 at night. I've done many nights where I only sleep a few scattered hours and it's the worst. I don't want to get used to AC and then be unable to sleep without it because lame. But, I do want to sleep better. I'll experiment with fans and stuff before I really commit to AC.

​​

Comment

• zamboni
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2017

"Desert" can mean a pretty wide range of things, can't it? Sounds like SoCal is off my summer destination list. It also doesn't sound like you're going to find a solar solution to that kind of load with the roof/cargo space you have.

I also considered swamp coolers...but water is more precious than electricity when boondocking, especially in a van.

The Noria... i'm definitely 'curious'...but always cautiously skeptical. Their FAQ states "0.480kW" draw, which isn't any better than a walmart window unit (actually a touch worse per my measurements). So it's a space-saver but doesn't change the solar landscape at all, unless they're just being super conservative with that number.

Comment

• Withalligators
        • Feb 2017

Yeah, an EER of 10.4 to 10.8 isn't that great. A window unit in the 12s would still be better. Nice size and weight though.

Comment

• Old_Man
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Withalligators
          Currently have a Transit connect with a 310w panel, Midnite Solar Classic Kid controller, 2 x crown AGM 6CRV220s, and a Samlex ACR-160 between the starter battery and the deep cycle bank.

I've just picked up a new 4x4 Sprinter, and am planning the solar system, but would like to go lithium. I'd like to go to 400AH to start, but be able to add more later. What are some good recommendations for lithiums? I've seen Battle Born tossed around a lot. I've also seen Prismatics for about 25% cheaper, but they are LiFeMnPO4, what's the difference with that and LiFePO4? What else do you guys recommend, or other things I should consider?

Can I have it so this bank is charged off the alternator like my current setup? Right now the Samlex keeps them isolated unitl one side reaches a nominal voltage and then whichever side is charging then proceeds to charge both. Can you do that with different battery types?

Cheers,
          Alex
          You can get not one but two, 12vdc, 200ah Lithium Ion batteries for about $1500, direct from the manufacturer in China, no middle man.

Look here.
          Last edited by Mike90250; 02-08-2018, 02:27 AM. Reason: DISABLED LINK

Comment

• Old_Man
            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Withalligators
            The kid is only good to 500w. I will get an all new system for this ride.

I have the 144" wheelbase. I haven't even started measuring yet. Still insulating. But I think 250w panels would fit well without overhanging too much. Again, without measuring, I'm guessing I could fit 3 or 4. 4 would be ideal. 1000w rated.

I've looked at mini swamp coolers, and they seem cool, but seems like they blow through water and would actually require more weight on board and more trips to get water. As opposed to a window unit which is that, a genny, and a 5 gallon jerry.

I would have a reinforced hinge and rear rack put on the van, and mount it on the back door. I could store it at a friend's, or get a storage site. But I am very curious about this unit you mentioned (that's what she said).

The desert gets killer hot, and stays hot at night for many months. I have trouble sleeping when it's over 90. And there are many days it doesn't dip under 100 at night. I've done many nights where I only sleep a few scattered hours and it's the worst. I don't want to get used to AC and then be unable to sleep without it because lame. But, I do want to sleep better. I'll experiment with fans and stuff before I really commit to AC.

​​
            You can get two 12vdc 200AH batteries direct from the manufacturer in China for less than $1500. I'm just the messenger.

MODERATOR NOTE. IF you wish to insert AD LINKS, contact user JASON for commercial rates.
            Last edited by Mike90250; 02-08-2018, 02:29 AM. Reason: DISABLED LINKS

Comment

Working...