Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPBECK
    • Jan 2014

Tracer 40amp, 12-24 volt charge controller + (3) 12 volt 165 watt panels

Ok I know this is a simple question for you guys. I currently have a Tracer MPPT solar controller 12-24volt, 40 amp controller and two 12volt 165 watt solar panels installed in series. I just bought another 165 watt panel (exact same as the others). Do I have to switch the wiring to parrelel in order to use the same controller on all three? I've seen people wire three 12 volt panels in series on the same controller-- but that would be 36 volts... and that controller is only 12 or 24 volts. This is boggling my mind. Please help and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JPBECK; 12-14-2017, 03:20 PM.
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

The Tracer series uses mppt logic and circuitry to efficiently convert the operating voltage of the panels to the charge voltage for the battery... they don't have to match. Three 12 V panels in series should be fine on any of the Tracer controllers. If you eventually wanted to go to 4 in series, you'd need to look at the max voltage input, since 4 in series is often not compatible with controllers with a 100 V max input limit.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• JPBECK
      • Jan 2014

Perfect then I don't have to buy any pigtails to connect them. Thanks for taking the time.
      It sounds counter intuitive to me that they list these units are being either 12 or 24 volt controllers though.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JPBECK
        Perfect then I don't have to buy any pigtails to connect them. Thanks for taking the time.
        It sounds counter intuitive to me that they list these units are being either 12 or 24 volt controllers though.
        The 12/24 V description applies only to the battery voltage. Every one of the Tracer controllers also has a max voltage input specification, and that is what dictates the allowable PV configuration.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• JPBECK
          • Jan 2014

Ok perfect! Thanks again.

Comment

Working...