No announcement yet.

Charging 12 volt battery from a larger 12volt battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks AZ. I think I can go ahead now and build this system. If the charge controller does not like the DC/DV charger I am happy with going straight off the big battery. Thanks to all that replied.

Comment

Make sure you head back with the 'as built' specs and let us know how well it is working for you.

Comment

I think your best with a small inverter set up and a battery 120v battery charger. You also want to run lights and a soldering iron.

Comment

I will post results after I build it.

Comment

Ray - for your application, the tecmate-optimate dc-dc charger does a great job. I use one often to keep a remote industrial vehicle topped off from a larger battery that I hump out to the field.

https://tecmate.com/products/tm500/

It's smart for both the target and source battery. And at only 2A, will do a great job of normal charging a 14ah agm battery. Because the absorb stage is not just pure CV, but a pulse/test type of absorb, it helps bring up lagging cells without overcharging the high ones.

If I want to be a purist, I'll take my much larger solar charged agm out there, and let the Optimate do it's thing. Then I can claim that the tractor is being maintained by solar, without having any panels in place!

Comment

New, related question - any leads on a AGM charger that can run off a vehicle alternator (while the vehicle runs its flooded battery) ?
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                New, related question - any leads on a AGM charger that can run off
                a vehicle alternator (while the vehicle runs its flooded battery) ?
                Your alt V is clamped by the flooded battery, but you could get one of those boost buck 12V
                converters to put the voltage where you need it. For isolation, add 3 more big diodes (half
                a bridge) from the alt winding to the new 12V circuit. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
                X