Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I run the 12 volt DC output of a Honda EU2000i into my EPEVER Tracer3210A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run the 12 volt DC output of a Honda EU2000i into my EPEVER Tracer3210A?

I have a 350 amp 12 volt AGM deep cycle battery bank. I have a Honda EU2000i inverter generator with a 12 volt port that provides 8 amp 12 volt output with no management. I would like the option to run this 96 Watts into my 350 amp Bank on cloudy days. I see no down side but, that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Anybody have any guidance? I do have a companion generator as well (4K total in parallel). Would I be better served by buying a smart charger and going direct to the battery bank? Generator inverter to smart charger to battery bank? I could get more amps, but, it may cost more fuel if I need both gens in parallel to power the smart charger.

I am new to all the solar, so, excuse any base ignorance in my question. I do not mean to offend

V/R rch
    Last edited by rhouser; 09-08-2017, 09:12 AM.

Sorry, I think I just found the answer to my question on connecting the generator through the Solar controller in a post dated 1 Sep 2017 on this same forum. The answer would appear to be NO. I guess the right answer would be the Gen to Smart Charger to Battery bank to augment at night and when there is no sun.

thanks rch

Comment

Originally posted by rhouser View Post
      Sorry, I think I just found the answer to my question on connecting the generator through the Solar controller in a post dated 1 Sep 2017 on this same forum. The answer would appear to be NO. I guess the right answer would be the Gen to Smart Charger to Battery bank to augment at night and when there is no sun.

thanks rch
      I think it would help if you described your system more precisely. I can only guess you have solar panels of unknown power feeding some sort of CC which normally charges your batteries. Wildly guessing it sounds you might also have inverter feeding your 120V AC loads from your batteries. I can't make meaningful guess where to fit 96W you mentioned- seem too low for generator output. I can also guess you'd like to 'help' CC out on the cloudy days using your generator. Is this what you're trying to achieve?

Comment

Ok, let me start by saying I am "Easing" into the solar thing. My original interest was in "sustainment" in adverse situations. I am 67 and had only three rules in my design case. My system had to be basically "transportable" (I need to be able to move it with me), flexible, and reliable to perform what I expect it to do. I hope that explains some of the choices I am making.

I currently am filling my CC needs on an Epever Tracer 3210-A. I am using the temperature and digital amp reader that are accessories. I have 6 Interstate DCM-0035 35 AMP AGM batteries for a total of 210 amps @ 12 Volts or 105 amps @ 24 Volts. Note that I can move my battery bank from the basement to the top floor in 3 trips and reconnect it in less than 15 minutes. At 23 pounds each, it is transportable. I feed the battery bank from the EPEVER Tracer with 10 GA wires and powerpole 45 amp connectors to break away the CC without a screwdriver.

I currently have 1 100 Watt Full time Renogy solar panel "permanently deployed" that feeds my 210 amp bank "full time". I have an additional 56 watts of foldable panels (2 28 watt panals) that I connect in series to the 100 watt panel (PowerPole connecters). These 2 - 28 watt panels fold and weigh less than 4 pounds each. They can hang, flop, fold etc. They go where I go and can deploy wherever the sun shines. I have a second 12 volt 6 Amp PSM CC that I can plug directly to either or both of the 28 watt panels. From this "mini" CC, I can charge one or some of the 35 amp batteries in reasonable time, and also run a USB bank from a single 35 amp battery. The Solar array connects to the Epever with 75 amp Power Pole connector so panels can be disconnected without a screwdriver.

Since my last post, I have ordered and received a NOCO Genius 26000 (26 amp) smart charger. The charger draws a max of 440 watts 120V. It is rated to deliver up to 26 charging amps to a 500 amp battery. It is fully transportable and weighs 5 pounds.

I have 2 Honda 2K generators that run separately at 1600 Watts or tandem for a 4K max bump. One is the companion model so I have a true 30 Amp line into the house. My power distribution is still done through hard wires (my cables). I have a 25' 30 amp line off the generators into the middle lever. I then run a 30 amp splitter into 3 10 amp lines. 1 line goes to each level (basement and second floor). I have a 5 way splitter on each level creating 2 amp outlets. These power lamps, phones, fans, computers, TV's etc.

My inverter is newly implemented. I have a single 750 watt - 1500 watt surge inverter that I am running with a pair of extension cords to powerstrips in whatever room I want them in. I am planning to increase my inverter strength but haven't decided whether multiple inverters are going to be smarter than a single big inverter.

Still learning. V/R rch
        Last edited by rhouser; 09-11-2017, 05:12 PM.

Comment

NO. The 12V (actually closer to 14V) is NOT what the controller is expecting. It expects about 18V from a panel to regulate it down to 14V for charging the battery, Running the little DC output from the genset, thru the controller, will likely not result in any charge at all. Better to plug in an automotive 12V (or 24V ) charger into the generator outlet, and charge with full power.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Mike90250, thanks. I had been looking at the unregulated 6 AMP - 12 volt lead off of the Honda EU2000i generator and trying to tie it into the battery bank for cloudy day support. My idea was to use the battery management system in the Solar cc to add in the 12 volt feed. I found my answer "NO" in another thread that gave me the same answer as you do and since purchased a Smart Charger.

I have built a viable working long term (several weeks) layered off-grid power system that can keep my site in lights, refrigeration, heat, and fan cooling, as well as cooking, water, and communication. I now am looking at the possibility of expanding this "basic" level of support. Cost effectiveness of basic survival capabilities is like paying for insurance. It is worth it the first time you need it.

For me, any further investment in expanding to a fully tied grid or off grid will have to be considered on a cost effect basis. I am fascinated by how far these systems have come.

Thanks to all who make this site great.

v/r rch
            Last edited by rhouser; 09-12-2017, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X