3x30V 280W Pannels to 12V Battery @ What Charge Controller ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tcalp
    • Jul 2017

3x30V 280W Pannels to 12V Battery @ What Charge Controller ?

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at picking up some Canadian Solar 280W panels and putting them them on the roof of a ran for a camper conversion; They are 280W 30V panels, and I want to be running a 12V battery array; As far as most systems go, I'd expect this is on the smaller side of things and am a bit confused on what MPPT controller I should be looking at getting (cheaper is better, but not so cheap that I would regret it).
  • max2k
    • May 2015

Originally posted by Tcalp
    Hey Guys,

I'm looking at picking up some Canadian Solar 280W panels and putting them them on the roof of a ran for a camper conversion; They are 280W 30V panels, and I want to be running a 12V battery array; As far as most systems go, I'd expect this is on the smaller side of things and am a bit confused on what MPPT controller I should be looking at getting (cheaper is better, but not so cheap that I would regret it).
    you did your load calculation first, didn't you? The right way to start post like this would be: "I have 12V loads to the total of xxx Wh " and then the rest what you just said. That would give ppl here much better idea what to recommend. Currently your post is missing that crucial piece of information.

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

The down and dirty answer; you will need 15 amps of charge controller capacity for every 280 watt panel, if charging a 12v volt battery bank. Be careful buying, cheap when it comes to MPPT charge controllers. Be sure the max Voc. is at least 100 volts. 150 would be better. Series wire your panels, You can series wire up to 3 panels, safely with a 150 Voc. max controller, two panels with max 100 Voc.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

You wil need a minimum 65 amp MPPT controller. If it cost less than $400, stay away from it because it is counterfeit Chi-Com POS Junk
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by littleharbor
          The down and dirty answer; you will need 15 amps of charge controller capacity for every 280 watt panel,.
          That is not enough IMHO. 280 watts / 12 volts = 23 amps. You would be clipping 60 watts (21%) of power off each panel. Perhaps you meant 20 amps?

There is a perfect match out there that would allow him to wire all 3 panels in series. A Morningstar Tri-Star TS-60-MPPT.
          Last edited by Sunking; 07-30-2017, 12:22 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

Never got how many panels he wants.. Being that he wants to mount these on the roof of a van, the less than optimal angle and hot location swayed my answer. Extra headroom is always a good thing though.
            Last edited by littleharbor; 07-30-2017, 01:20 PM.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...