X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Sunny Eileen
    Oh, that is not good, that dirty power. How does one know when it is that way?
    When you are go south of the border to a third world country. In the US and Canada not a realistic or much of a problem.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• reed cundiff
      • Nov 2013

It happens all the time in the US. We were at a very good Colorado State Park and the air conditioning had severe problems. An RV tech came out to our site and said that when a lot of folks turn on their air conditioning at the same time that spikes can occur that will really do a number on the electronics. So we got a surge protector such as Sun Eagle suggested. We got rid of it since we just run line power through a battery charger as noted above.
      Reed and Elaine

Comment

• Sunny Eileen
        • May 2017

My plan is not to travel in my Airstream, but to set it up as home for maybe half the year. I have 3 adult children that I could spend a month with each and then also travel to another part of the world for 3 months at a time, like Italy, Northern Thailand, Siberia and so on. I think I would be home when it is warm outside, grow a garden and enjoy where I am parked. If I could make it off grid then so much the better. If it was only for 6 months a year, it might be more feasible.

Comment

• reed cundiff
          • Nov 2013

Our three kids have a place for us to park in the back. Our older son (the solar contractor and master electrician) has installed 30 amp outlets at two of their places, which we no longer require. He is off grid but at 7800' in northern NM so electrical power is not required. We spend time with them between other travels and then they come to spend time with us in mountain west and Yucatan. We had Roadtrek in Yucatan this year and took down a 12' diameter rainfly/mosquito shelter for them to stay in. So consider traveling in such a manner that the kids and grandkids can spend time with you.
          Reed and Elaine

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by reed cundiff
            It happens all the time in the US. We were at a very good Colorado State Park and the air conditioning had severe problems. An RV tech came out to our site and said that when a lot of folks turn on their air conditioning at the same time that spikes can occur that will really do a number on the electronics.
            Not spikes at all. That is called Brownouts from over loaded circuits. Pretty common at a RV park that was not designed to handle the load and just thrown together by the owner with little or no knowledge. Ask your Son.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• reed cundiff
              • Nov 2013

Sorry, brownouts, but they can be common. We were at St. Mary's Cove in Nova Scotia eight years and someone turned on three of their air conditioners at the same time and that took out the breakers for the entire RV park. They do not usually have folks turning on air conditioning there.

Comment

• Sunny Eileen
                • May 2017

I never use air conditioning. Never have. Just like TV. never have had one.

Comment

• reed cundiff
                  • Nov 2013

Well that certainly reduces your requirements. If you use LEDs and cook and refrigerate with propane than you really do not need that much solar/battery capacity.

Comment

• Sunny Eileen
                    • May 2017

Propane water heater or solar? I was hoping to avoid propane, but It is doable wherever one goes.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Propane water heater or solar? I was hoping to avoid propane, but It is doable wherever one goes.
                      How much hot water do you anticipate needing ? And, how steady or consistent on a daily basis is the solar resource ? If you need a lot of hot H2O every day in an area w/ questionable, low or inconsistent sun, get propane. If you can work hot H2O demand around sunshine availability, solar can be useful, but not as reliable as propane.

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

If you want to heat your water with the sun, you are better off putting in enough solar thermal panels than trying to use electric resistance heat.
                        (Heat pump type water heater is also much more efficient if you want to put all of your eggs into one PV system.) If using resistance heating, heat your water later during the day when your battery bank is not able to soak up all the energy your panels can deliver.)

Propane refrigerators are very energy inefficient, but your solar PV is a lot more expensive than grid power.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Wrybread
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Mar 2017

Guessing this has been mentioned by this point, I haven't read past the first page of the thread yet, but a wind turbine is a no no for an RV because of vibration. When they're engaged there's a deep rumble vibration that transfers to the structure it's attached to. If you're going to use it, you'll need to mount it away from the camper, or you won't be able to sleep.

You also need to get it up above any gusts, but that part is less important, since it'll still produce power at lower heights, it'll just continually engage and disengage, making the noise issue even worse.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Wrybread
                            Guessing this has been mentioned by this point, I haven't read past the first page of the thread yet, but a wind turbine is a no no for an RV because of vibration. When they're engaged there's a deep rumble vibration that transfers to the structure it's attached to. If you're going to use it, you'll need to mount it away from the camper, or you won't be able to sleep.

You also need to get it up above any gusts, but that part is less important, since it'll still produce power at lower heights, it'll just continually engage and disengage, making the noise issue even worse.
                            Noise/vibration and, depending on relative sizes, vehicle overturning moments would be another consideration. All in all, wind energy devices more than hobby/toy size are probably not a good match for non stationary lifestyles/vehicles.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Wrybread

Wind Turds are a No-No for any application other than commercial wind farms using someone else's money to buy them.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by inetdog

If you want to heat your water with the sun, you are better off putting in enough solar thermal panels than trying to use electric resistance heat.
                                (Heat pump type water heater is also much more efficient if you want to put all of your eggs into one PV system.) If using resistance heating, heat your water later during the day when your battery bank is not able to soak up all the energy your panels can deliver.)

Propane refrigerators are very energy inefficient, but your solar PV is a lot more expensive than grid power.
                                Good advice but one catch. Solar PV and Solar Thermal cannot occupy the same space. We are talking about a tiny trailer with no flat spots for any panels. Using solar PV to heat water is the absolute worse decision that can be made. LPG is the right choice for all heat, cooking, and refrigeration.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...