Newbie advice

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carv
    • May 2017

Yes I'm looking at 300 to 400 Watts, I'm only running the fridge, I'm usually out 3 days, never more than 4-5, and I have a generator I use to run other on demand loads.

Is there a controller that fills the batteries then uses the excess to run any draw on the system?

Thanks
    Last edited by Carv; 05-09-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2016

Why use a generator at all if you're putting this system together?
      I don't know much about various controller features, but the Morningstar TriStar models will do diversion load. That isn't quite what you're imagining I think; it transfers array input to another load when not needed for charging such as a water heater element.
      I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

• Carv
        • May 2017

I need the Genny for microwave, 1600 watt electric water heater, air conditioner, lights.

The solar is just to run the fridge & 12v lights and occasionally a TV/dvd and radio.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2016

Ok I see. Your plan is coming together then and you'll have a generator to bail you out if the sun doesn't cooperate.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
            Ok I see. Your plan is coming together then and you'll have a generator to bail you out if the sun doesn't cooperate.
            Anyone that depends on a solar / battery system for electricity will eventually end up with dead batteries due to the weather not always being cooperative to allow you to use the sun to recharge.

A generator is not only a smart addition to your system but is necessary if you want to keep your batteries charged and run electrical appliances every day of the year.

Comment

• littleharbor
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

Any quality charge controller, if not all, will, once the batteries are near full will allow available amperage over what the batteries are drawing to bypass to your load. You don't need any add ons or switching apparatus. That being said you need enough solar power to charge your batteries AND power your daytime load, otherwise your loads will not allow you to ever be able to top off your battery.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Wrybread
                Solar Fanatic
                • Mar 2017

I wouldn't call that opinion on generators universal. I've been using solar in RVs for probably 20 years and have never used a generator. The first thing I do when I get a new camper is rip the gennie out. But I don't need air conditioning. For everything except AC I don't see any reason for a generator. Especially if you've got good panels (I'm a big fan of 600 watts of solar for an Rv). That way even when it's cloudy you get a bit of a charge.

Last edited by Wrybread; 05-10-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2016

Agreed Wrybread. My RV solar experience has only been for about 10 years, but we never owned a generator with the first camper at all. I bought one to go along with our current camper with the intent of using it to run the air conditioner. Turns out it was just barely marginal for that due to us living at relatively high elevation and only wanting to use it when it is super hot out. So I quit bringing it with for the past couple years. This summer I bought a soft start kit for the air con (Micro Air) and I'm looking forward to having the capability to run it when desired.

I'd say a full time RVer that actually relies on using its appliances on a day to day basis throughout a year should have more of a priority on a backup. But for campers like myself who typically do it as a long weekend type of thing, it is very easy to get by without a generator and the emergency backup is hooking the camper trailer connection up to the tow vehicle and running the engine. I've never had to do that thankfully. I'm certainly not saying that having a generator is a bad idea.

Comment

Working...