Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjvit
    • Apr 2017

Help with Solar Panel running DC motor setup

Hello all, I am attempting to utilize new technology in our fields and have ran into some trouble with my setup. I want to run a small DC motor (which spins all day and night in an attempt to collect spores from the air in our fields) off of a battery that is charged during the day by a solar panel. The DC motor works when connected directly to the battery. However, when the solar panel is hooked up to the solar charge controller, that is also hooked up to the battery and DC motor, the motor stops running, as if the battery is immediately drained of power. However, the battery still has juice, as I can unhook from the charge controller and run the DC motor. I have listed the motor, solar panel (which comes with its own charge controller), and battery below. Any help on what is going on would be greatly appreciated. I'll admit I know nothing about solar power hookups, let alone any other voltage systems. Is the solution as simple as buying a more appropriate charge controller?

Motor: Mabuchi Motor RF-500T-10750 5.9v DC

Solar panel/charge controller: Eco-worthy 10W PV Polycrystalline Solar Panel system kit w/3A Charge controller (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Battery: Powersonic 12V PS-1250F1 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Do not connect the motor to the LOAD terminals of the solar controller.
    Those terminals are not designed for high current (not your problem) but on "solar controllers" as opposed to "charge controllers" the LOAD terminal is often programmed by default to control lighting, and so is turned off whenever there is sun on the panels.
    If there is any chance that the motor will run the batteries down to the point of damage you will need to include an external low voltage disconnect relay to protect both batteries and motor.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• tjvit
      • Apr 2017

I was connecting the motor directly to the load terminal. I did not realize this. Thank you for the information!

Comment

Working...