Shed and yard flood lighting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Laspher
    • Mar 2017

Just a question for future reference. What do you do with your old batteries? Just take them to any place that sells batteries?

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Laspher
      Just a question for future reference. What do you do with your old batteries? Just take them to any place that sells batteries?
      Couple of things can be done.

1. Batteries have two prices, just like soda pop use to have two prices. Batteries come with a Core Charge just like soda pop in glass bottles. If you have the empty bottles you pay a lower price. If you do not have empty bottles you will pay a Deposit for new glass bottles. Same with batteries instead of calling it a Deposit, they call it Core Charges.

2. Take dead soldiers to a scrap metal recyclers that accepts batteries. That is where all batteries end up, even the ones that you trade in the stores for new ones.

My oldest memories of Soda Pop was a 12 oz bottle of Coke or Pepsi cost 11-cents with a return bottle, or 16-cents without a bottle. On weekends as kids we went to Trailer Parks and stole pop bottles. Trailer Park trash stored their bottles outside under their trailers. Some stores use to keep them outside in a fenced in area. At night we would hop or cut the fence and steal them by truck loads.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

here, old batteries are worth $11 cash for automotive sizes, more for larger ones.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

[QUOTE=Sunking;n34810

My oldest memories of Soda Pop was a 12 oz bottle of Coke or Pepsi cost 11-cents with a return bottle, or 16-cents without a bottle. On weekends as kids we went to Trailer Parks and stole pop bottles. Trailer Park trash stored their bottles outside under their trailers. Some stores use to keep them outside in a fenced in area. At night we would hop or cut the fence and steal them by truck loads. [/QUOTE]

We have to be the same age, DOB late 50's. Your soda bottle story sounds like a day in the life for myself at 8- 10 years old. Funny how a penny was really worth something back then, ( 11 cent sodas). Gas was 28 cents a gallon. I could fill my mini bike with gas for a quarter, or 5 empty soda bottles. Good times.
          Last edited by littleharbor; 04-22-2017, 02:03 PM.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Laspher
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Sunking

Couple of things can be done.

1. Batteries have two prices, just like soda pop use to have two prices. Batteries come with a Core Charge just like soda pop in glass bottles. If you have the empty bottles you pay a lower price. If you do not have empty bottles you will pay a Deposit for new glass bottles. Same with batteries instead of calling it a Deposit, they call it Core Charges.

2. Take dead soldiers to a scrap metal recyclers that accepts batteries. That is where all batteries end up, even the ones that you trade in the stores for new ones.

My oldest memories of Soda Pop was a 12 oz bottle of Coke or Pepsi cost 11-cents with a return bottle, or 16-cents without a bottle. On weekends as kids we went to Trailer Parks and stole pop bottles. Trailer Park trash stored their bottles outside under their trailers. Some stores use to keep them outside in a fenced in area. At night we would hop or cut the fence and steal them by truck loads.
            1. I didn't pay a core charge (yet anyway) on the UB12350 I just bought online at walmart.com just the 64.99 (unless the core charge is already included which would make the replacement battery even cheaper in a few years). I was looking for an item line on core charge and didn't see one.

2. Not sure I know of a place in town that recycles batteries, maybe nearby cities.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

1. I didn't pay a core charge (yet anyway) on the UB12350 I just bought online at walmart.com just the 64.99 (unless the core charge is already included which would make the replacement battery even cheaper in a few years). I was looking for an item line on core charge and didn't see one..
              You paid it, it was invisible to you and included in the price. If you have cars, mechanics, and auto parts stores in your area, there is at least a repository. It is required by law. That is not to say batteries do not end up in the dump because they do. But any mechanic or autoparrts dealer is required to recycle batteries.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by littleharbor

We have to be the same age, DOB late 50's. Your soda bottle story sounds like a day in the life for myself at 8- 10 years old. Funny how a penny was really worth something back then, ( 11 cent sodas). Gas was 28 cents a gallon. I could fill my mini bike with gas for a quarter, or 5 empty soda bottles. Good times.
                Close, we are both Baby Boomers. I have a couple of years on you. Life was simple in my developing years. We had to work, play outside, learn math and science, and disciplined. .
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Laspher
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Sunking
                  You paid it, it was invisible to you and included in the price. If you have cars, mechanics, and auto parts stores in your area, there is at least a repository. It is required by law. That is not to say batteries do not end up in the dump because they do. But any mechanic or autoparrts dealer is required to recycle batteries.
                  64.99 for a deep cycle AGM with core charge included is pretty cheap then.

Comment

• Laspher
                    • Mar 2017

So, quick update on this project. Shed is nearly finished with the construction phase. I was going to order the 100w kit i linked previously, then I got to the shipping fees. $140 for shipping on a $195 kit. Checked Amazon. Found same kit for only 50 in shipping. Found a similar Renogy kit for the same price and free shipping.

Amazon even gave me an option to put the whole thing into an amazon box. I checked it just because I want to see a 40"x 25" x 6" box with amazon stamped all over it. Free, so why not?

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

So, quick update on this project. Shed is nearly finished with the construction phase. I was going to order the 100w kit i linked previously, then I got to the shipping fees. $140 for shipping on a $195 kit. Checked Amazon. Found same kit for only 50 in shipping. Found a similar Renogy kit for the same price and free shipping.

Amazon even gave me an option to put the whole thing into an amazon box. I checked it just because I want to see a 40"x 25" x 6" box with amazon stamped all over it. Free, so why not?
                      Careful on how Amazon ships things. If they use UPS some of those drivers tend to drop kick the packages to your doorway.

Comment

• Laspher
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

Careful on how Amazon ships things. If they use UPS some of those drivers tend to drop kick the packages to your doorway.
                        thus the extra box. I plan on giving a thorough inspection upon receipt. I am taking no chances on this, and will be ready to call and complain about damages if I find anything suspect.

Comment

• Laspher
                          • Mar 2017

Got my Renogy kit delivered today by USPS (transfer from UPS). Packaging was in near-mint condition. Everything inside is in perfect condition. Will take it out later today and get a Voc check.

p.s. Amazon didn't give me the extra free box they said they would.

p.p.s. Cloudy skies, non-optimal angle, and some minor shade from a tree, got 20Voc. Rated 22.5Voc. I'd call that properly functional.
                          Last edited by Laspher; 05-10-2017, 07:56 PM. Reason: edit for p.s. and p.p.s.

Comment

• Laspher
                            • Mar 2017

Finally got a nice clear day and some free time. I set out the panel to get a better Voc reading--23V with a listed rating of 22.5V. Now I just wish I had my shed so I could set everything up.

Comment

• Laspher
                              • Mar 2017

Ok, Question time. When it comes to 12v systems, is a connection to earth ground required? I've made a mockup of what I am currently planning for my wiring in this shed. As always, advice is welcome.

wiring.png

Comment

• Laspher
                                • Mar 2017

Sunking SunEagle, I think you guys would be one of the better to ask, any suggestions? (I realized I forgot to include the in-line fuse from the controller in the drawing)

Comment

Working...