X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Wrybread

Not exactly, but I'm fine with conflicting viewpoints being discussed and moving on. Or if you're super compelled to "help" even when specifically told not to, just state your theory and leave it at that.

My objection is that he derails every discussion. He's trying to do it again with cellular data, both with drama and with injecting misinformation to the discussion. Quite amazing actually. I'm simply asking for him to leave this thread alone.
    Not exactly ? So what if you are wrong and lead or point others into bad/dangerous choices and then move on, just leaving it at that ? Do you feel that you have any responsibility there ?

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Not exactly ? So what if you are wrong and lead or point others into bad/dangerous choices and then move on, just leaving it at that ? Do you feel that you have any responsibility there ?
      Could someone help me catch up? Where did the OP post anything that might lead someone into making a wasteful or dangerous choice? I can't find that post in this thread. Is this spillover from another thread I haven't been following?
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Wrybread
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2017

I guess an example would help. He spent 20 posts telling me that my charge controller wouldn't work and that I'd need to spend a ton more money on the Morningstar. I told him my reasoning for using the Tracer (it's what I have from before my project expanded, it's 1/3 the price, and I think it'll work fine). He told me I'm an idiot and a mechanic or something unnecessarily hostile like that and made sure the discussion couldn't move on. Other people with much more knowledge of solar than I told him it would probably work fine, and that I'm operating within the specs. But still, 20 posts later, he was still going on about it.

Another even better example is mounting my panels in parallel. That got a bunch of "you don't understand mppt!" from him even as he ignored me repeatedly telling him I'm only doing it because shade issues. For like 10 posts!

Anyway, I don't want to dwell on it too much, but that's what I'm talking about. And I'm not even saying any of the above in a single post is that bad, but it goes on and on until everyone is drawn into his little battles.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by sensij

Could someone help me catch up? Where did the OP post anything that might lead someone into making a wasteful or dangerous choice? I can't find that post in this thread. Is this spillover from another thread I haven't been following?
          JPM is referring to poor planning, mismatched equipment and over all poor ass design. Shade tree mechanic. Even Jflorey committed it was piss poor as I and JPM have. Sensij you know me well enough I do not let hacks get away with crap like this. The guy asked what we thought, and now is crying when he did not get what he wanted. He wanted everyone to bow down to his brilliance.
          Last edited by Sunking; 03-16-2017, 06:09 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Wrybread
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2017

M is referring to poor planning, mismatched equipment and over all poor ass design.
            Aha, we're revisiting the charge controller issue. Never mind that it works just fine for my purposes. And never mind that I said multiple times if that turns out not to be the case I'll upgrade it. Or are you talking about shading? If so, I'd have been a better planner if I bought a larger rv?

And as I said 10 times, I'm expanding a system. So there's compromises.

And besides, it's all working beautifully. And if you don't know it's way overkill for an RV, then you don't have very much practical experience with RV solar.

The guy asked what we thought, and now is crying when he did not get what he wanted. He wanted everyone to bow down to his brilliance.
            The king of the strawmen has spoken! Never mind that it's completely inaccurate. I've gotten a ton of great info from this tread and have changed a lot of things about my design. And I hope to be uploading to pvwatts soon.

But look at the info you've supplied in just the last few posts, that I'll have to "pay up or shut up" for cellular data service. It's all just noise.

And no biggie, you have the whole rest of this forum to badger people and shout your inaccuracies and faulty logic and shot-in-the-dark insults and occasional technical help. But you're doing a terrible job of contibuting anything meaningful in this thread.
            Last edited by Wrybread; 03-16-2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Wrybread
              Solar Fanatic
              • Mar 2017

And on a related note, I do the computer tech for a local community radio station, and on our email list we used to have these flare ups all the time since there's just something about being behind that keyboard that turns some people into blowhards. We'd have these flare ups all the time until we finally figured out that important things needed to be discussed in person. In person those same blowhards would invariably be the nicest people on the planet. Hopefully that's the case here. But put behind that keyboard...

Comment

• solar pete
                Administrator
                • May 2014

OK great, sounds like this thread is done, it will be closed soon.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                  No not the card, just a USB Modem. Both Verizon and ATT have what they call WiFi Hotspots. About the size of Altoid Mint can. It is 4G LTE/AWS/IOP. Set it in your house or wherever you want, then connect via WiFi. My cell phone can even do it as it is called a WiFi Bridge. Works just like the WiFi Hotspot, log in from your puter via WiFi and the phne makes the Bridge to LTE/AWS/IOP. Many Smart Phones can do it if you can afford the data bandwidth.
                  I thought of those hotspots but I think you pay a monthly fee even if you don't use them. I was hoping to find something like that but where you are only charge for the data you use like those cheap cell phone companies that only charge you by the minute and not by the month.

Comment

Working...