wintek motor szb4032dc24b - 24v fan came with 12v panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wintek motor szb4032dc24b - 24v fan came with 12v panel

Can someone explain why this 24 volt fan motor came with 12 volt panels ? And what parameters it needs to run it ? And will other 24 volt motors have similar requirements? These are the motors that came with some Gable attic fans, been repurposed to act as cooling air moving fans.

Well a 12v panel will produce closer to 18volts so that may be enough to run that 24v DC motor at some speed.

I own a solar attic fan that runs directly from a 10watt "12v" solar panel but off hand I do not remember what the fan motor is rated and it is not easy to get to to read the name plate.

Does it take 2 of those panels wired in series to run that motor or just 1?

Comment

. Honeywell branded, each fan came with its own 12 watt panel. Do you think it is safe to run this fan with a 24 volt Bank?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian53713 View Post
        . Honeywell branded, each fan came with its own 12 watt panel. Do you think it is safe to run this fan with a 24 volt Bank?
        Hard to say. I have been unable to find that particular motor part number. I keep coming up with a wintek szb4032d024c 24v DC motor rated 21 watts, 1.32A, 1600RPM but nothing with a 24b part number.

Comment

I have looked at that same web page I'm pretty certain, that is the same motor it just varies slightly by the model number.

Comment

Well DC motors are pretty sturdy. I would test the motor with a single panel to see how well it ran. It may not get up to full RPM but it might run fast enough to move the air you need.

Just make sure the panel is in full sunlight after 10 AM when you test it.

Comment

Typical DC motors (brush or brushless) will operate over a wide voltage range. In addition a fan will be far quieter at reduced
              voltage/rpm. I had a system running 24V fans from 9V to 28V. Bruce Roe

Comment

So I suppose the more pertinent question, I have these hooked up to my 12 volt battery Bank successfully for years. These came with a panel and it worked fine at first to run them directly. Then I hook them up to a pwm and a battery Bank. And was able to run those fans and a computer and phones. That's what got me realizing that I could run lots of small appliances with my small attempt at a couple off-grid systems. Any reason why these fan motors cannot be run off of a 12-volt bank. Or a 24 volt bank if I go that direction.?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian53713 View Post
                  So I suppose the more pertinent question, I have these hooked up to my 12 volt battery Bank successfully for years. These came with a panel and it worked fine at first to run them directly. Then I hook them up to a pwm and a battery Bank. And was able to run those fans and a computer and phones. That's what got me realizing that I could run lots of small appliances with my small attempt at a couple off-grid systems. Any reason why these fan motors cannot be run off of a 12-volt bank. Or a 24 volt bank if I go that direction.?
                  As Bruce states. A DC motor will usually just run faster with a higher voltage. And the faster it runs the noisier it gets. So if it is rated for 24volts then it should run from a 24volt battery bank but it may be pretty noisy.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

As Bruce states. A DC motor will usually just run faster with a higher voltage. And the faster it runs the noisier it gets. So if it is rated for 24volts then it should run from a 24volt battery bank but it may be pretty noisy.
                    Also, if the motor is rated for 24V, then trying to run it directly off of two nominal 12V panels in series (for a total of 36V or more) might cause damage from overvoltage.
                    But using the two panels in series to charge a 24V battery and connecting the fan to the battery should be within the allowed voltage range of the motor.
                    Some DC motors, in particular fan motors, can run too fast and draw more than their rated current when driven from too high a voltage and can overheat as a result.

Some 24V electronics, on the other hand, might not like being exposed to the nearly 30V of a 24V battery being heavily charged, and the same would apply to 12V electronics running off a nominal 12V battery system.

12V automotive accessories, for example, are specifically designed to survive a 15V input or higher.
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Stick with the "nominal" 12v panel system for your 24v motor. We've seen that a nominal panel is rated usually between 18-22v, but cheaper ones may go much higher!

One of my Noco trickle panels went to 25v. Even with the load of a motor on it, I wouldn't take a chance in this unregulated application. Lensing edge-of-cloud effects could ruin your day down the road.

Comment

Working...
                      X