Coating Busbar Connections to Stop Corrosion.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • austexdude469
    • Oct 2016

Coating Busbar Connections to Stop Corrosion.

What is the most desired electrical connection anti oxidation coating? Don't want anything greasy... Looking for a varnish type of product.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Nope, With thermal cycles and such, the varnish will split and crack and be worse than nothing.
    Cheap and easy is the goop for aluminum wiring (no-ox type stuff)
    then there is copper flake loaded grease, and the cream of the crop is silver flake paste. Real Copper and Silver, the little jars weigh a lot.

Auto shops have some sort of red battery terminal spray coat, but I have zero experience with it,
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by austexdude469
      What is the most desired electrical connection anti oxidation coating? Don't want anything greasy.
      Then forget about it. The best anti-corrosion agent is No-Ox-ID A Special. Utilities require it and have been using it for 75 years. No bridge or water plant could exist without No-Ox-ID. Used correctly and you have a 50 year trouble free connection
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• austexdude469
        • Oct 2016

Thanks guys... sorry I was horribly sick with a stomach virus these past couple days, first time since Christmas Day 1997 I was sick like that. That sucked. Anyway thanks for the info

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
          Then forget about it. The best anti-corrosion agent is No-Ox-ID A Special. Utilities require it and have been using it for 75 years. No bridge or water plant could exist without No-Ox-ID. Used correctly and you have a 50 year trouble free connection
          Maybe that would be good stuff for MC4 connectors? Those things are always trying to oxides up if they aren't mated and sealed.
          Maybe others aren't as likely as me to be storing them, taking them apart and putting them back together. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
            Sunking commented
            Editing a comment
            Bruce here is a secret. Hot Dip and I do not mean your wife.

Professional Battery Plant Installers buy the grease in a half pint or pint can. They then put the can on a Hot Plate to liquify. When they strip wire/cable, they Dip the Wire Skinner, and shake off excess and wipe it down. That also take a little grease and put it inside the Crimp Barrel before compressing the Terminals on the cable.

Lastly they will take a bit of Green Scotch Brite and lightly buff the connection surfaces and apply a light thin coat before bolting down. The chit works great and there is no equal product on the market. What is really great the stuff is inexpensive. The secret is knowing about it and how to use it.

However if your wife or girl friend needs serviced, Donald and I opened up a new company called Chump-N-Pump Billary.
            Last edited by Sunking; 10-15-2016, 12:24 PM.
        • bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Thanks.

Perhaps something like the 1" miniature solder pot I have would do it. MC4s work on one time situations, but not so
          well on my experiments. Another ap is Automotive connections, which without precious metal contacts can be
          unreliable on older cars. Bruce Roe

Comment

• austexdude469
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Sunking
            Thank you, it's in my Amazon buylist. You should upgrade your avatar to Sun God because I have been reading many forums and blogs over the past year and you seem to know more than anyone I have encountered as of yet. Either that or you're a really good bullshipper lol JK

Anyway thanks again. My father was an electrician fresh out of WW2 at age 19 until he died in 1976 I was just a kid but from what I hear he was really good at what he did like you.

Comment

• austexdude469
              • Oct 2016

Anyway thanks again. My father was an electrician fresh out of WW2 at age 19 until he died in 1976 I was just a kid but from what I hear he was really good at what he did like you.
              LOL And before anyone thinks to themselve "Not good enough" he did not die by electricity.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by bcroe
                Thanks.

Perhaps something like the 1" miniature solder pot I have would do it. MC4s work on one time situations, but not so
                well on my experiments. Another ap is Automotive connections, which without precious metal contacts can be
                unreliable on older cars. Bruce Roe
                Bruce like any of the Anti-Corrosion Grease out there the trick is full coverage to lock any air out. Vaseline even works to some degree but will dry out. All you need is thin coat. .
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

My father was an electrician fresh out of WW2 at age 19 until he died in 1976 I was just a kid but from what I hear he was really good at what he did like you.
                  That suks your father died before you could grew up and was able to really know him. I am a military brat. My father was a Col in the USAF until he was 46 or so then retired and went to work Rockwell. I will never forget the day when I graduated high school, I was in ROTC, I told dad I was going into the USN. I was gone in just a few days for basic training, returned for a dew days at the end of summer, then off to college. Needless to say my father got over it real quick and was real proud his son was an officer. After I got out we were both finally able to talk about what we did in the service. I was a submariner, so I could not talk much about what we did. We became really close after I grew up.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...