Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • forde250
    • Oct 2016

Van 100 watt system compatable with cooler or fridge

I made a post about a week ago but might have led the wrong interpretation of what I am trying to do. I am looking to power any type of mini fridge as small as they come (1 cubic foot) from a 100 watt solar kit by renogy on top of my van. I need to know if there is an energy efficient mini fridge or cooler out there that can be run by this? It will be designated for road trips and it will only be opened once or twice a day.
    If not, does anybody know if I'd be able to run a mini fridge off of an external battery powered by the alternator? I am trying to figure out which option is more cost effective/will work.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Just about all types of fridges using AC power would require more than a 100 watt solar panel. You will probably need at least 300 watts and about a 200Ah battery system and a Pure Sine wave inverter.

There are a number of DC power coolers that can be found. I do not own one so I can't make any recommendations but someone else may provide that information.

Comment

• ewarnerusa
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2016

I also recommend the DC coolers. Tons on Amazon. Just plug it into your van's 12V outlet. Hook your renogy panel to your van's battery to support it when the van engine is off.
      I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2011

Can't recommend a frig/cooler but a battery isolator and 100Ah battery would most likely be more cost effective. Your vans alternator in 15 minutes can supply more power than the 100 watt panel can in a day.

Comment

• forde250
          forde250 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is great to know, thank you. I am a beginner and not very knowledgeable but can you tell me what I would need to purchase in order to ensure that the battery is not over-charged/undercharged? I want to avoid replacing anything sooner than it needs to be. Does the battery isolator sit under the hood and charge the extra battery?

• Wy_White_Wolf
          Wy_White_Wolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Best suggestion would be to talk with your local RV store/shop. They have them on RVs to keep the house and engine batteries separate but charged from the engine alternator. The size of them I think is set by the amperage of your alternator.

• ioanp
        • Oct 2016

Hi!
        I have currently installed on my van a 80w Kyocera module held down with Alpha L-brackets with edpm (solid!) going through a 20a fused Stecca charge controller into a 120ahr leisure battery. From this I run my Mobicool FR35 AC/DC compressor fridge 24 hrs a day - in Wales! (clouds not optional here). I also run lights, charge points and stereo from the same battery and have not had one moment where I have run out of juice. I was going to go for the halfords cigarette lighter cool box for £50 but am so chuffed with the one I have. Virtually silent and only runs for about 5 mins in a given hour (if not opened) due to its insulation. Oh and you can run it off mains AC direct too. No extra kit, just use the extra lead provided.

I sound like a salesman, I'm not - I just happen to work in solar and love vans
        Hope this helps!

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ioanp
          Hi!
          I have currently installed on my van a 80w Kyocera module held down with Alpha L-brackets with edpm (solid!) going through a 20a fused Stecca charge controller into a 120ahr leisure battery. From this I run my Mobicool FR35 AC/DC compressor fridge 24 hrs a day - in Wales! (clouds not optional here). I also run lights, charge points and stereo from the same battery and have not had one moment where I have run out of juice. I was going to go for the halfords cigarette lighter cool box for £50 but am so chuffed with the one I have. Virtually silent and only runs for about 5 mins in a given hour (if not opened) due to its insulation. Oh and you can run it off mains AC direct too. No extra kit, just use the extra lead provided.

Hope this helps!
          Nice little system you have although that 80 watt panel will not provide enough charging amps to keep that 120Ah battery happy. Do you also charge it from the van's alternator?

Also how long have you had that battery?

Comment

• ioanp
            • Oct 2016

Battery is about 9 months old now. no alternator charging. The van is used for weekend trips so the fridge can be on for 4 days straight and then not used for 2 weeks. I check the battery charge condition regularly and on most days the indicator lights state fully charged by afternoon when used. (misty days excluded) I designed it around my usage really - light- and I think with led lights, some phone charging and a bit of radio background now and again it does work. I chose this fridge due to the fact that it's hardly running when it's on. Like I say about 5 mins an hour so load is quite low. I would change the module if my usage went up but for my use it works fine.

I think Forde250 has the same projected use of his system so something similar may fit him too but every system is bespoke. His panel will be bigger but I just wanted the Kyocera as they are now rare in the UK and I'm a bit of a panel spotter

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Hi!

Hope this helps!
              OK, but your panel is not doing the work.You could throw it in the trash and never miss it.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Battery is about 9 months old now. no alternator charging. The van is used for weekend trips so the fridge can be on for 4 days straight and then not used for 2 weeks. I check the battery charge condition regularly and on most days the indicator lights state fully charged by afternoon when used. (misty days excluded) I designed it around my usage really - light- and I think with led lights, some phone charging and a bit of radio background now and again it does work. I chose this fridge due to the fact that it's hardly running when it's on. Like I say about 5 mins an hour so load is quite low. I would change the module if my usage went up but for my use it works fine.

I think Forde250 has the same projected use of his system so something similar may fit him too but every system is bespoke. His panel will be bigger but I just wanted the Kyocera as they are now rare in the UK and I'm a bit of a panel spotter
                It sounds like you are short cycling the battery which is why it is still providing enough power. That 80 watt panel will probably only provide about 4.5 amps of charging which is way too slow to keep that 120Ah battery from sulphating the plates. Chances are it will not last the Winter. You are going to need about 10 to 12 amps which would require a couple more of those 80 watt panels. Have fun. Hope it all lasts as long as you need it.

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
                  I also recommend the DC coolers. Tons on Amazon. Just plug it into your van's 12V outlet. Hook your renogy panel to your van's battery to support it when the van engine is off.
                  WARNING - DC (Peltier) coolers are in general efficient than compressor based refrigerators. The reason they sometimes seem to work OK with cars is that 1) cars are driven often and thus have a lot more power available and 2) the coolers are typically very small. I would not recommend trying to power it for any length of time (more than about 6 hours) from your van without running the engine. (Unless of course you have a solar power system designed to support it.)

Comment

• Logan5
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2013

12 volts is not for refrigeration, 12v refrigeration is inherently inefficient and thermoelectric cooling is the worst. These units are incapable of making ice and draw more continuous power than than a proper chest refrigeration unit that run directly from 24 volts. They can also damage your starting battery as it is not designed for deep cycle use.

Comment

Working...