Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manich
    • Sep 2016

Single 12v bat + Two 6v bats?

I have a 100w Renogy suitcase kit with my Truck camper. I am wanting to put together a 200w panel system, with a 400-600w psw inverter, to power electronics and lights in my mountain cabin when the grid is down, which on my mountain happens frequently. Can I connect the rv's 12v 60aH battery parallel with two 235aH 6v in series, to give my cabin system more bat capacity? I would keep the 12v charged separately with the 100w Renogy panel, and charge the 6v's with a 200w panel.
    Last edited by manich; 09-30-2016, 09:47 AM.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello manich and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Usually is it not a good idea to mix different size batteries in the same system so paralleling a 60Ah with a 235Ah system would not be a good idea.

Even adding new batteries to the existing is not a good idea because an older battery will shorten the life of the newer one.

You can build a separate solar/battery system for your cabin or you may want to get a portable generator which could be less expensive depending on the number of outages.

Comment

• manich
      • Sep 2016

I thought it might not be a good idea. I do have a little 1000w Yamaha generator, one of the quietest sold, but even that disrupts the peace on my mountain. So I was looking for something very quite, I guess I could just use my rv's Renogy system along with a different battery bank at the cabin to power a tv, laptop and some led lights. Or could just haul the rv's battery from my camper to the cabin when the need arises.
      thanks
      Last edited by manich; 09-30-2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by manich
        I thought it might not be a good idea. I do have a little 1000w Yamaha generator, one of the quietest sold, but even that disrupts the peace on my mountain. So I was looking for something very quite, I guess I could just use my rv's Renogy system along with a different battery bank at the cabin to power a tv, laptop and some led lights. Or could just haul the rv's battery from my camper to the cabin when the need arises.
        thanks
        Well you could get a couple of those 6v 235Ah batteries and have them charged up along with an inverter and save some money not getting solar panels and charge controller. That would get you about 700 watt hours daily and save you some money.

You would just need to purchase a 6v battery charger for those batteries and used the RV or generator to power it up during the day.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle

Well you could get a couple of those 6v 235Ah batteries and have them charged up along with an inverter and save some money not getting solar panels and charge controller. That would get you about 700 watt hours daily and save you some money.

You would just need to purchase a 6v battery charger for those batteries and used the RV or generator to power it up during the day.
          If you wire the 2 batteries in series for a 12V bank, you can use a conventional 12V charger, run off the generator.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250

If you wire the 2 batteries in series for a 12V bank, you can use a conventional 12V charger, run off the generator.
            Duh! You are right. That is what I have in my RV. Must be something I ate this morning.

Comment

Working...