Charge 50ah agm battery with two small portable solar panels at same time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cyklopz
    • Jul 2016

Charge 50ah agm battery with two small portable solar panels at same time?

I have set up a battery box portable power system to use while camping. I have two smaller portable solar panels (folding type). I have simple little charge controllers with each panel. One panel is rated 27W and the other is 39W ( I know, they never reach rated power and conditions vary). They can both output 12v-18v, theoretically. I can hook up either one to the battery for charging with alligator clips to the terminals, can I hook up both panels to the battery at the same time safely? I would like to keep things simple and clean and not have to make any permanent changes to the equipment as this will be for occasional and temporary usage. Safety is primary of course. I believe the drain on the battery should be under 25% per day and probably less.

If the above is not safe/workable. Is there a dual input charge controller that would work with these types of portable panels that don't have bare wires (usb outputs and the 12/18v output)? Or any other good way to use both of these panels at once?

A new bigger single panel might be needed for the future but for now I'd like to try and use this equipment.

Thanks for your time and help.

Cy
  • ewarnerusa
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2016

Yes you can, although the two different charge controllers may confuse each other resulting in possibly wasting a little bit of charging amps. But at this small of wattage, I don't see any safety issues. Both will contribute, but it may not be as efficient as running both panels through a single charge controller. At this small of a system I don't think it is an issue worth chasing after, just hook them both up to your battery and let them run. Do both charge controllers have a float charging stage?
    I'm an RV camper with 470 watts of solar

Comment

• nomadh
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

I have a similar camping setup. I have a lightly used 12v scooter battery, a charge controller, and a 100 w panel. It charges up our whole 3 or so campsite setup. Usually 10 or 12 smartphones, 3 to 7 ipods, a port dvd or 2 and a few gameboys. Enough electronics to make sure everyone has no interaction with nature whatsoever
      We are usually in the shade so the panel has to keep being moved and at best the sun can be pretty shaded but we can still get through the week. The charge controller shows the battery drained about 1 out of 3 lights by the end of 7 days whatever than means but it gets us through. I'm guessing we drain only 5-10% per day so with such a small set of panels your system may not be able to recharge enough at night. I dont recall my battery size but the math is do you generate enough solar energy during the day from your 2 panels to replace the amount used from the battery.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

2 small panels are better than nothing. But you really need a charge controller that has settings for AGM batteries to prevent overcharging.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...