Question regarding Quick disconnects and semi portable setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Quick disconnects and semi portable setups

Hi everyone, I have a question that i haven't found an answer to searching around. I am planning to add solar power to my travel trailer, but I don't want to add them to the roof as this will void my 12 year roof warranty. I am trying to plan out a semi portable setup that will allow for relative ease of setup and a bit of customization to my needs. I have a 400 watt Renogy kit, and am thinking about adding some kind of a quick disconnect near the pass through storage area that will allow me to plug in my solar panels to the wall of my trailer when i am in camp. The Inverter and solar controller would be in the pass through storage area so the wire run to the battery would be +- 9 inches through the front cap to the batteries on the A-frame. I could then theoretically hook up as many of the 4 panels as i think i need/want in parallel as long as i stay under the amp rating of the controller. If i'm just staying somewhere overnight, maybe just get 1 out, if i'm going to be there for a week or more set up all 4. This is in theory though, and i haven't found anyone that has a similar setup other than the single panel portable briefcase kits that are made for it. This brings me to my 2 questions;

1. The theory sounds great in my head, but i am very new to this and may not be considering something. I do know this is going to mean a lot of work for me in setup and tear down of the campground as each panel is 16.5 lbs and with a support system will probably be closer to 25, and i plan to anchor them in case of light wind and just plain take them down if it gets too rough to avoid damage. But the option to park in the shade somewhere and run the panels 15 or 20 feet out into direct sunlight as well as not voiding my warranty are big motivators, and i am young and spry still so i may as well do the work while i can. Is there anything about my plan that is unsafe or that you can see i may have overlooked? The way i am imagining it, it will just be a larger version of a single panel portable kit.

2. What kind of connectors should i use at the trailer as well as to connect the panels in parallel. They are all MC4 right now, but i know those are a pain if you dont have the tool. Will MC4 connectors be ok for repeated connect and disconnects if i have the tool? Is there another waterproof connector i should or could use?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The MC4 connectors are waterproof when assembled. But they are not designed for repeated connect/disconnect cycles. And you do not
    want to unplug them with current flowing, which will probably degrade or destroy them in few cycles. They will also tend to corrode if not
    kept continuously engaged. You can remove either the male or female latching part (I use a grinder) so they just slide together; that is done
    for test & experimental stuff here.

For relatively low voltage stuff you might look into Anderson connectors; these are uni sex and 2 pin versions (polarized) are common. They
    will take lots of cycles, but should be kept dry. Bruce Roe

Comment

I agree with using the Anderson. They were designed for quick connect and disconnect even under load. I used them on the Inverter leads to the battery system for my portable solar / battery system.

Below is a photo of it with a weather proof cap on the connector.

Comment

Awesome, Anderson connectors it is! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X