X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xtal_01
    • Jun 2016

Replacement cell for Solarex 1999 Bounder RV air conditioner mounted cell

Hello,

I am replacing the air conditioner on our 1999 Bounder motor home (Coleman unit). It has a 5 watt ( reading 18 volts ) solar cell mounted on the top of the air conditioner. It measures 12" x 13" and is mounted by 4 simple tabs bent over from a frame that looks like a baking rack.

The back has begun peeling (not surprising after 17 years). The only thing I can read is the name Solarex on it.

I did ask and there is a "new" trickle charger from Coleman that I can buy from the RV dealer ..... $250! Seems super high for a 5 watt cell.

I do see cells on amazon and ebay for about $30 for 5 watt.

I just don't know if any of these are made to be mounted outside in the weather (some look like they have plastic frames ... or aluminum frames with plastic corners). Mine is just a flat glass panel with foam strips stuck to the back ... no frame.

Anyway, any suggestions on a panel that will replace this one? Is there such a thing as a 12 x 13 panel ( or 12 x 12 or ???? )? Can you buy panels that come with no frame so I can mount them on my existing frame (or maybe I should have a frame and cover for some weather protection)?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks ...... Mike
Working...