Low operating current

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low operating current

We installed six 100-watt solar panels on our boat -- they are all the same: VMP = 18.35 volts; IMP = 5.44 amps; short-circuit amps = 5.65 amps. When I test the panels, they seem fine -- I get over 20 volts and the short-circuit amps match the specs.

However, I when I hook the panels up to the boat’s system, the output current seems rather low. I never seem to get more than 3 amps from each panel (performance is consistent from one panel to the next). At first I hooked them up directly to boat’s system. Now also I’ve installed Victron Bluesolar MPPT controllers, but this doesn’t make much difference.

In the past we’ve had six 100-watt flexible solar panels and at times they delivered as many as 30 amps and 20 amps wasn’t unusual. With these new 100-watt panels, the most I’ve seen is 18 amps and generally it’s maybe around 15 amps.

What do you think is going on here? Thanks in advance.

Possibly the issue is how those panels are wired and what the best way to use that Victron MPPT CC. Or the panels are not angled directly at the sun to get the best sunlight which would reduce the amount of amps measure.

So how are those panels wired?

Comment

If the short circuit amps match the panel spec but you are getting only 3A per panel, you need to know whether the batteries are in a state of charge such that they can take more than 25A or so from the CC. (18A into the CC could produce around 25A out to the batteries with MPPT.)
      If you disconnect one panel does the current from each of the others go up? That would be a clear sign that the panel output is limited by the battery load.
      If you turn on some heavy power loads while the batteries are charging does the current also go up?

What is the rated output power and current for the Victron?
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
      X