advice for maintaining batteries off grid..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Have not read through all the replies, and have no intention to do so.

Are all your batteries same type. If they are you can parallel them and keep them charged.

How many?
    What Size?
    What Type?

If it is a mix of AGM, FLA, starting and deep cycle you have some incompatibility. However you can find a happy medium. Float range between the types is 13.2 to 13.6 volts. You would need to shoot for 13.4. Not perfect but better than dead and doing nothing.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• jjwelly
      • Feb 2016

they are all different types. Seems to me that it would be hard to parallel them while still remaining in vehicles. Would I just make some sort of extension cables with alligator clips branched off in order for me to hook them all up in while remaining in vehicles? Then I would be able to charge them all with 1 solar panel and 1 charge controller?

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jjwelly
        they are all different types. Seems to me that it would be hard to parallel them while still remaining in vehicles. Would I just make some sort of extension cables with alligator clips branched off in order for me to hook them all up in while remaining in vehicles? Then I would be able to charge them all with 1 solar panel and 1 charge controller?
        You could but would be extremely dangerous.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Only way to charge them all is to do it ONE AT A TIME. Running parallel charging wires to two different batteries at the same time will kill one or both and definitely if you connect all four at the same time.

Comment

• jjwelly
            • Feb 2016

ok thanks you all, really, I very much appreciate all the help. I think this puts me back to thinking it doesn't make sense to use solar. Not very good saying that on a solar forum, I know, but I don't see how spending ~$150 for a solar charge/maintainer PER BATTERY is cost effective. At least for me. I may try using one of those 5-6 watt $40-50 setups on one of them to see if it helps me in the long run, but doesn't sound like those work well. So, I need to decide to either remove the batteries and bring home to ac power for storage, which is a PITA. Or just let them sit during the normal season, and remove and bring home during the off season.

Comment

• PNjunction
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2012

I think this puts me back to thinking it doesn't make sense to use solar. Not very good saying that on a solar forum, I know, but I don't see how spending ~$150 for a solar charge/maintainer PER BATTERY is cost effective.
              Actually, on this forum you'll find we often don't recommend solar for everything when it is extremely cost-ineffective, or just to much to maintain properly. You are on the right track, and most of us are honest when a sanity ratio has been exceeded.

At least for me. I may try using one of those 5-6 watt $40-50 setups on one of them to see if it helps me in the long run, but doesn't sound like those work well.
              They are mainly designed to compensate for parasitic loads from a vehicle, but as you now know, if those maintainers find a battery in a 50% charged state, it will tend to leave it there and not actually charge. Sulfation still occurs. If you DO use one with a FULLY charged battery, (say you take your dc-dc charger out, finish a charge, and plop one of these solar maintainers on, they can easily overcharge that battery without a controller as seen in the earlier video....

So, I need to decide to either remove the batteries and bring home to ac power for storage, which is a PITA. Or just let them sit during the normal season, and remove and bring home during the off season.
              I think the last option makes the most sense for you. Grab the Optimate 6 and during the off season, just rotate it around to all the batteries say once a week or so. At least it is better than doing nothing that you are doing now. It might be enough to justify the cost of the charger if only one battery lasts a year longer.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

ok thanks you all, really, I very much appreciate all the help. I think this puts me back to thinking it doesn't make sense to use solar. Not very good saying that on a solar forum, I know, but I don't see how spending ~$150 for a solar charge/maintainer PER BATTERY is cost effective. .
                Nah you will hear it here first. In fact you wil hear using solar for batteries is the last thing you want to do and to be used if there is no other option. Solar is the most expensive and least effective source there is.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• hammick
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2015

I use a 100w Renology panel on my south facing wall. Mostly for float charging small AGM batteries during the winter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTERY-TEND...item4ae65bb733

All batteries are fully charged when I arrive at my place.
                  Last edited by hammick; 02-22-2016, 07:57 PM.
                  Conext XW5548
                  Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

Clean looking building. The metal roof and wall mounted solar panels are screaming "Snow Country"
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• jjwelly
                      • Feb 2016

so much good info here, thanks! Many good options.

Comment

Working...