Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • createthis
    • Sep 2015

30 amp 12v timer switch?

I'd like to have my midnite classic 150 charge controller on a timer. I'd like it to be on during daylight hours and off at night. Perhaps even using a photosensor. Does such a thing exist? If not, what's the best way to build one? I'm not sure a relay would be ideal. I'd prefer to expend power switching the state, but not maintaining it. Servo switch?
  • Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

Why?

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

You cannot disconnect the batteries without disconnecting the panel first.

You cannot connect the panels until the batteries are connected first.

Try again.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

When you disconnect the battery, the memory runs off the coin cell (that you remove the shipping tab from when you install) I think I recall it has a 2 month life, so you get 4 months or less with your auto-disconnect, and then the Brain goes dead and you have to re-program it. Every 4 months after you change the battery
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• createthis
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Bala
          Why?
          Draws 5 watts when it's on. Too much power.

Comment

• createthis
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
            When you disconnect the battery, the memory runs off the coin cell (that you remove the shipping tab from when you install) I think I recall it has a 2 month life, so you get 4 months or less with your auto-disconnect, and then the Brain goes dead and you have to re-program it. Every 4 months after you change the battery
            I could always wire a dummy coin cell from another power source. This is less than ideal, but it's not a deal breaker.

Comment

• createthis
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
              You cannot disconnect the batteries without disconnecting the panel first.

You cannot connect the panels until the batteries are connected first.

Try again.
              When it's dark, cutting the power to the battery works just fine. I just want to shut it off at night.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

If the 5 w is too much power, look at the Morningstar MPPT 60. It's about the same ratings, but no display. It has a web server internally. And no screaming fans.
                And I think it has less idle power. The Classic already has an internal relay to cut off some of the circuitry,

Dude - it's a monster 80A charge controller. With the large battery banks you connect it to, a 5w 18hr draw (90watt hours) is almost nothing. If the 5w is killing your batteries, something else major is wrong,

The reliable way to do it, is to use a solid state relay, controlled by a dusk-dawn lighting controller. And hope the PV array on the classic, fires up AFTER the SSR has powered up the controller. If the Array ever powers the controller before battery power is active, you are going to hurt.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• createthis
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  The reliable way to do it, is to use a solid state relay, controlled by a dusk-dawn lighting controller. And hope the PV array on the classic, fires up AFTER the SSR has powered up the controller. If the Array ever powers the controller before battery power is active, you are going to hurt.
                  Doesn't an SSR use power while it's on? I suppose I could use two switches at the same time (one on the input, one on the battery) to eliminate the risk of that happening. However, what is the risk there? Would the classic be damaged if the battery was disconnected but the array was active? I don't see any warnings about that in the user manual. Wouldn't the same thing happen if a fuse or breaker on the battery tripped? Seems odd that would damage the classic as the purpose of such devices is to protect the equipment.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Well, switching the battery of the controller is not normal operating procedure. What's the big concern with a couple watts ?

Comment

• createthis
                      • Sep 2015

Looks like the thing I'm looking for is probably called a "Latching Contactor". Momentary power to coil engages switch, permanent magnet holds it in place. Momentary reverse power to coil disengages. http://www.ametekswitch.com/products...tors-List.aspx

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

FWIW you are really wasting your time and money trying to do this and asking for trouble. If your panel wattage so severely undersized as it cannot replace less than 100 wh a day to your battery, or is so small it cannot handle 100 wh with a 80 amp controller you have huge problems. I really do not think many are going to offer you help for this as you have already noticed. Just not worth the effort.
                        Last edited by Sunking; 02-01-2016, 05:57 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2012

Brutally frank, but good advice.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by inetdog
                            Brutally frank, but good advice.
                            You know me I don't mince words, get right to the point, and is not personal. Trying to save this guy a lot of trouble, time, and some coins.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• createthis
                              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
                              FWIW you are really wasting your time and money trying to do this and asking for trouble. If your panel wattage so severely undersized as it cannot replace less than 100 wh a day to your battery, or is so small it cannot handle 100 wh with a 80 amp controller you have huge problems. I really do not think many are going to offer you help for this as you have already noticed. Just not worth the effort.

I understand it's non-standard. I don't understand how it's "asking for trouble", however. Is it inherently dangerous in some way?

Comment

Working...