Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisAtYork
    • Nov 2015

Off-grid, all-season, very light but continuous load

Hi, I'm looking to put together an off-grid system for powering a few scientific instruments and would love to get the opinions of some solar power veterans!

Our power requirements are very light but we are aiming for constant operation in all seasons. To make the most of the available daylight in December and January I plan to tilt the panel steeply (~55 degrees from horizontal) facing due South. We'll be setting it up at York University in southern Ontario, Canada (43.7 degrees N) on a rooftop high enough for good southern exposure. No inverter is necessary because the system's load will consist of two high-efficiency DC voltage regulators, each one consuming a max of 5.5W and probably between 3.5W and 4.5W on average.

Ideally we'll have one regulator connected directly to the battery for uninterrupted operation (the regulators have a 6.5-18V input range). The second regulator can be connected to the charge controller's load terminals, for any extra protection that may offer, and to save power if the controller's Low Voltage Disconnect ever has to kick in. Among the sites I've looked at it seems like solartrader.ca/ will be a reasonable supplier for our needs. Here are the parts I have in mind with prices through Solar Trader.

-A MorningStar SS-MPPT-15L charge controller for $299 CAD. Spec sheet: http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-co...ENG10_1111.pdf

-One Deka Solar 8A27 battery (12V, AGM, 92Ah at C/20) for $239 CAD. Spec sheet: http://www.mkbattery.com/images/8A27-Deka.pdf

-One 160W Heliene 36M panel for $235 CAD. Spec sheet: http://www.heliene.ca/Userfiles/File...D_20150613.pdf

-50' of 10 AWG wire at $0.99 CAD/foot; to be used from panel to controller (under 15' apart) and controller to battery (under 5' apart). Specs: 600V or 30A max, 4mm medium stranded copper, RHH/RHW-2/USE-2 outdoor rated.

-Two in-line fuse holders--one for the battery and one for the load. The charge controller's manual says 25A fuses should be used. Ones offered by Solar Trader are $20 CAD: solartrader.ca/20_60_Amp_In-Line_Fuse_Holder

Do you see any mistakes or think we'll have any trouble with this system? Should crimped lugs be used at a controller's power terminals or is bare wire fine? According to the panel's spec sheet there are optional output cables but by default the junction box just has screw terminals. In that case what are safe ways to wire up this panel? Any and all advice is welcome!

Thank you for your expertise,

-Chris
    Last edited by solar pete; 11-11-2015, 12:05 AM. Reason: didnt like a couple of links
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Chris you have already go off on the wrong foot. Your first huge mistake is you bought stuff. You have no clue if it will work or not. After 12 years doing this stuff, anyone who does this always fails and finds out they did not buy near large enough equipment, and what they bought cannot be used.

The very first thing you have to determine i show many watt hours you need in a day under worse case conditions. Then you take the location, time of year use, shading issues and then design the system. So stop what you are doing and start over.

No one single person here can help you until you define what it is is you need it to do, where it will be used, etc. You just jumped on a plane and took off without checking fuel, weather, or even a clue where you are going. End result is you planned to crash and burn.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• ChrisAtYork
      • Nov 2015

No, no, I haven't bought anything yet!

I had the max load in mind when I selected those parts: constant 11W * 24h = 264Wh daily. Government resources and academic publications agree that December is the worst month for my region, with 50-60 kWh/kW, depending on tilt angle and year-to-year variations, which is an average of 1.61-1.93 kWh/kW daily. With a 160W panel that gives a ballpark estimate of 258-310 Wh generated daily.

This is in line with PV array recommendations from Canadian commercial websites, for example http://www.matrixenergy.ca/cottagepv...tml#fragment-1

As for battery selection, the sources I've checked out are pretty much consistent with this tool http://www.batterysizingcalculator.com/ and the results it gave me are in the attached pdf.

If it helps, I have a BA in Geography and I'm almost finished my BSc in Physics, so you don't have to worry about me being a total buffoon
      Attached Files

Comment

• lkruper
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2015

Originally posted by ChrisAtYork
        Sunking scared me so bad, I STILL have not bought anything.

Comment

• ChrisAtYork
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by lkruper
          Sunking scared me so bad, I STILL have not bought anything.
          Huh... Good to know! But I'm sorry to hear it. Buying stuff is fun right?

Shall we start with one of my easy questions: should crimped lugs be used at a controller's power terminals or is bare wire fine?

Comment

• lkruper
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2015

Huh... Good to know! But I'm sorry to hear it. Buying stuff is fun right?

Shall we start with one of my easy questions: should crimped lugs be used at a controller's power terminals or is bare wire fine?
            Well, I did get a generator and a manual transfer switch for my cabin. I do not need solar or batteries, but I will eventually get them. As for your question, I know enough to be dangerous and most of the time keep my mouth shut when I don't know that much about a subject. I am going to buy professionally made cables when I deploy, as making them is not a skill I am going to need in quantity and I want to make sure I don't create a fire hazard.

Comment

• Living Large
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2014

Hang in there Chris, you'll get some help here. Dereck (Sunking) can be very helpful, when he slows down and actually reads posts before replying. Sometimes he takes off like a rocket ship. Kudos to you for wearing a flak jacket on day one. It sounds like you've done some good homework already. By saying "any and all advice is welcome" you set the stage. Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Comment

• lkruper
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2015

Originally posted by Living Large
                Hang in there Chris, you'll get some help here. Dereck (Sunking) can be very helpful, when he slows down and actually reads posts before replying. Sometimes he takes off like a rocket ship. Kudos to you for wearing a flak jacket on day one. It sounds like you've done some good homework already. By saying "any and all advice is welcome" you set the stage. Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!
                BTW, don't forget to tell the new guy that Comic Sans MS font means joke, kindov!

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

OK great. My bad.

OK I have already told you what you need to do. Scrap your list for now. If you have a degree in science, this will be easy as most of it is 6th grade math. Well 6th grade math in every country except the USA. Otherwise Phd level in the USA. Yeah that was a joke, but the irony is there is some truth to it. Hang around and you will understand.

So let's get started and you have to do this on your own. You have to get a handle on how many watt hours you need in a 24 hour day. Only you can do that, we cannot read your mind or the equipment specs.

Watt Hours is a terribly complex equation Watt Hours = Watt x Hours. Told you it was complicated. Another one is Amp Hours = Amps x Hours. But for now forget Amp Hours as it is just th eend result of Watt Hours at a specified voltage.

So what you need to do is look at all your equipment specs together and determine how many watts they use while running. Then determine how many hours a day they will run in a 24 hour day. Example say you have a Telemetry radio that uses say 20 watts and runs 10 hours each day. 20 watts x 10 hours = 200 watt hours = 200 wh = .2 Kwh.

I am going to stop here and ask you to read this sticky as it will walk you through the process, and maybe enough for you to go it alone. Then come back with your numbers and questions if you have any. The painful part is December and January in your area as it will dictate most everything and will put the hurt on your wallet. Off-Grid systems use worse case.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                    OK great. My bad.

OK I have already told you what you need to do. Scrap your list for now. If you have a degree in science, this will be easy as most of it is 6th grade math. Well 6th grade math in every country except the USA. Otherwise Phd level in the USA. Yeah that was a joke, but the irony is there is some truth to it. Hang around and you will understand.

So let's get started and you have to do this on your own. You have to get a handle on how many watt hours you need in a 24 hour day. Only you can do that, we cannot read your mind or the equipment specs.

Watt Hours is a terribly complex equation Watt Hours = Watt x Hours. Told you it was complicated. Another one is Amp Hours = Amps x Hours. But for now forget Amp Hours as it is just th eend result of Watt Hours at a specified voltage.

So what you need to do is look at all your equipment specs together and determine how many watts they use while running. Then determine how many hours a day they will run in a 24 hour day. Example say you have a Telemetry radio that uses say 20 watts and runs 10 hours each day. 20 watts x 10 hours = 200 watt hours = 200 wh = .2 Kwh.

I am going to stop here and ask you to read this sticky as it will walk you through the process, and maybe enough for you to go it alone. Then come back with your numbers and questions if you have any. The painful part is December and January in your area as it will dictate most everything and will put the hurt on your wallet. Off-Grid systems use worse case.
                    See post #3. OP uses a constant 264wh per day, and has planned for December insolation. Doesn't have a science degree (yet).

Comment

• MikeCanuck
                      • Nov 2015

Hi Chris, I registered to make my first post here since I wanted to encourage a neighbour; I'm in the northeast part of Toronto.
                      I'm a newbie with a very small 100w hobby setup to power led lights around my shed to discourage racoons from pooping on my shed roof every night. Working very well since beginning of summer. Only had to scrape off two huge piles of poop after the one night I decided to test what would happen if I didn't turn on those lights .

So I don't remotely qualify to give you any expert or experienced opinions, but doing small scale solar is fun, expensive, but fun, and didn't want you to be turned off for lack of responses to your post.

From everything you posted so far, I think you seem to have done your homework well based on the expert sticky threads on this forum:
                      - you calculated your daily watt hour requirement
                      - you sized your solar panel and battery taking into consideration lowest solar insolation in december and it looks like you should be able to recharge fully even when getting only 2 sun hours in a day here in the great white north, and you should be able to go 1 or 2 days without any sun before your battery gets to below 50% dod
                      - you only have a small DC load and no inverter so no losses converting DC-AC
                      - you plan to use mppt controller instead of pwm so minimize losses there
                      - you plan to use 10gauge solar wire for short runs for the low amperage between panel and controller and controller and battery, so minimal losses there
                      - you are fusing these connections so safety is a check
                      So it looks like you have most of what little I know about covered.

I'm also using 10gauge wiring just like your plan, but fused with 15amp fuses to be on the safe side based on this chart for maximum amps for power transmission:
                      AWG Wire size chart and ampacity table for design engineers including skin depth frequencies and tensile strength data; electrical cable size

I'm surprised that the panels you are considering don't come with MC4 connectors attached to the junction box.
                      But since you are just planning a single panel to charge controller, seems to me going direct from the panel junction box to charge controller via bare ends should be ok as long as it is waterproof at the panel junction box and the controller is inside. If you ever need to add a panel then you could add MC4 connectors to make wiring in parallel or series easier.

So, newbie to newbie, your plan seems to look ok to me, doublecheck your calculations, measure twice, cut once...
                      And hopefully the real experts here can chime in and confirm or spot anything glaringly wrong when they have time...
                      Then go have fun spending lots of money

I had the max load in mind when I selected those parts: constant 11W * 24h = 264Wh daily. Government resources and academic publications agree that December is the worst month for my region, with 50-60 kWh/kW, depending on tilt angle and year-to-year variations, which is an average of 1.61-1.93 kWh/kW daily. With a 160W panel that gives a ballpark estimate of 258-310 Wh generated daily.

This is in line with PV array recommendations from Canadian commercial websites, for example http://www.matrixenergy.ca/cottagepv...tml#fragment-1

As for battery selection, the sources I've checked out are pretty much consistent with this tool http://www.batterysizingcalculator.com/ and the results it gave me are in the attached pdf.

Comment

• ChrisAtYork
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by MikeCanuck
                        Hi Chris, I registered to make my first post here since I wanted to encourage a neighbour; I'm in the northeast part of Toronto.
                        I'm a newbie with a very small 100w hobby setup to power led lights around my shed to discourage racoons from pooping on my shed roof every night. Working very well since beginning of summer. Only had to scrape off two huge piles of poop after the one night I decided to test what would happen if I didn't turn on those lights .

So I don't remotely qualify to give you any expert or experienced opinions, but doing small scale solar is fun, expensive, but fun, and didn't want you to be turned off for lack of responses to your post.

From everything you posted so far, I think you seem to have done your homework well based on the expert sticky threads on this forum:
                        - you calculated your daily watt hour requirement
                        - you sized your solar panel and battery taking into consideration lowest solar insolation in december and it looks like you should be able to recharge fully even when getting only 2 sun hours in a day here in the great white north, and you should be able to go 1 or 2 days without any sun before your battery gets to below 50% dod
                        - you only have a small DC load and no inverter so no losses converting DC-AC
                        - you plan to use mppt controller instead of pwm so minimize losses there
                        - you plan to use 10gauge solar wire for short runs for the low amperage between panel and controller and controller and battery, so minimal losses there
                        - you are fusing these connections so safety is a check
                        So it looks like you have most of what little I know about covered.

I'm also using 10gauge wiring just like your plan, but fused with 15amp fuses to be on the safe side based on this chart for maximum amps for power transmission:
                        AWG Wire size chart and ampacity table for design engineers including skin depth frequencies and tensile strength data; electrical cable size

I'm surprised that the panels you are considering don't come with MC4 connectors attached to the junction box.
                        But since you are just planning a single panel to charge controller, seems to me going direct from the panel junction box to charge controller via bare ends should be ok as long as it is waterproof at the panel junction box and the controller is inside. If you ever need to add a panel then you could add MC4 connectors to make wiring in parallel or series easier.

So, newbie to newbie, your plan seems to look ok to me, doublecheck your calculations, measure twice, cut once...
                        And hopefully the real experts here can chime in and confirm or spot anything glaringly wrong when they have time...
                        Then go have fun spending lots of money

Hi Mike, thanks for diving in to help a fellow citizen! Good to hear the system's been helping with the racoon... situation.

I agree with your slightly-more-experienced assessment of my plan! The 25A fuses are what's recommended in the charge controller's manual, since it's designed to function at 15A. No reason to worry--rather than being turned off, the replies have given me a lot of food for thought. Sunking's sticky post mostly reinforced my original considerations. The battery lifespan may turn out to be a bit shorter than I'd figured, but that remains to be seen. What will really help is good data on the average power consumption of our load, and I'm arranging to get the sensors needed to collect that data during prolonged operation. My project has a bigger scope and bigger complications than I've mentioned so far, but I'm all ears for suggestions.

The scope: this is actually going to be used with a rooftop cosmic ray detector prototype, which we intend to replicate at high schools in our region as a science outreach and education project. Called SOLTA, which stands for Southern Ontario Large-scale Time-coincidence Array, we even have a blog. While we certainly don't want to throw away money, misjudging our power needs the first time around isn't the end of the world. With that charge controller we have the option of switching to 24V, adding another battery and swapping in a 250W panel, for instance. We already know that some will require more storage, array wattage and/or topping up with a grid-tied battery charger. There are schools in downtown Toronto where the skyline will probably exclude solar generation, but for its educational value we'd like to use PV electric where we have suitable sites.

The complications: because our power consumption is so low, we may need to expend some energy just to keep the system warm in the winter. I'm redesigning the detector's housing with plenty of thermal insulation and passive solar thermal features such as heavy thermal mass and possibly a trombe wall but I'm still concerned about the equipment dipping much below 0 °C (32 °F). I can't have the battery capacity taking a dive when we need it most! Anyone know how risky is it to have an AGM battery in a very enclosed space? I knew flooded batteries were out of the question... :/

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

.......Shall we start with one of my easy questions: should crimped lugs be used at a controller's power terminals or is bare wire fine?
                          It depends on what the terminals are designed to have attached. The manual will state.
                          My 60A controller has compression fittings that will only work with bare wires ( a round hole with a setscrew )

Sometimes, Bad crimps are hard to identify, and if you do not have experience with compression crimping, leave it to someone who does. The $15 crimper & lugs at the auto parts store, is not good for power cables.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Mike90250
                            • May 2009

......The complications: because our power consumption is so low, we may need to expend some energy just to keep the system warm in the winter. I'm redesigning the detector's housing with plenty of thermal insulation and passive solar thermal features such as heavy thermal mass and possibly a trombe wall but I'm still concerned about the equipment dipping much below 0 °C (32 °F). I can't have the battery capacity taking a dive when we need it most! Anyone know how risky is it to have an AGM battery in a very enclosed space? I knew flooded batteries were out of the question....
                            Attempting to run electrical heaters from a battery in cloudy (not sunny) weather will quickly drain the batteries.
                            AGM batteries are fine in cold weather, and under "normal" conditions, they are benign. A fully charged battery is good to about
                            - 75° F (really chilly), as the battery charge decreases, it will freeze at warmer temps, as the electrolyte becomes more like water.
                            AGM cells can be frozen without too much damage, but cannot be charged till they thaw. Regular flooded batteries, if they freeze, are going to most likely be destroyed by the ice formation.

And, as temps go lower, Battery Capacity DOES decrease.
                            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• MikeCanuck
                              • Nov 2015

re: this is actually going to be used with a rooftop cosmic ray detector prototype, which we intend to replicate at high schools in our region as a science outreach and education project

Very cool! I'll look for your solar/cosmic ray detector setup when passing by high school roofs next year then
                              [so..you guys gonna be able to detect when those cosmic rays are going to scramble all the computers in the world? I wonder if that would be before of after the next solar flare EMP? sorry, I digress...]

The scope of your project is definitely way outta my league, again fun stuff planning to spend serious cash for science though
                              Like you said, better doublecheck loads, battery sizing, possible future expansion needs like cellular network gear to transmit/access the data etc. Solar panels you can add, but there are lots of posts on this forum about killling battery life when trying to add a mismatched battery to a battery bank. cheers!

Comment

Working...