Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firemediceric
    • Nov 2015

Proper battery for gate opener

I have a Mighty Mule gate opener that I installed 2.5 years ago. At the time I used a Marine type battery and connected a 50 watt (IIRC) solar panel to keep the battery charged. No issues until this week.

In an effort to add lighting by my gate I installed from Amazon a GLW® 10W 12V AC or DC 700lm LED Motion Sensor Flood Light, Smart PIR Decector Outdoor Security Floodlight 6000k Cool White, Waterproof Basement Light 100cm Cable, 80W Halogen Bulb Equivalent. I reasoned that the large marine battery had more than enough power to both power the gate open/closed half a dozen times per day and to also illuminate the light in the evening as circumstance may trip the motion detector to cause the light to come on for 6 minutes at a time. I think I was wrong about the battery being up to the task.

On the first night when the light was activated the gate opener began sounding its audible beeping to inform me that the voltage was too low to power the gate opener, even though the opener was not in use. I did a little observing and realized that without any draw on the battery there was 13 volts present, even at night. When the light comes on that drops to just over 10 volts. I was very surprised by such a large drop in power from such a small light. I disconnected the light.

I tried to activate the gate opener the next morning, but without success. Now when I test the battery I see 13 volts without a load placed on the battery, but when I use my battery tester to apply a load to the battery the needle goes all the way to the left telling me there is not any voltage or that there is a short.

My first question is what type of battery should I use to replace this failed battery? Another marine type or something else?

Is it purely a coincidence that the battery failed at the same time the light was installed or did the light put too much of a demand on the battery, especially without the sun shinning to recharge the battery at night?

I'd like to have the benefit of that 12 volt light, but I don't want to be replacing the battery prematurely.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

What do you use for a charge controller ?

Depending on gate usage, 30W might be too small.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• firemediceric
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
      What do you use for a charge controller ?

Depending on gate usage, 30W might be too small.
      To show my ignorance, I don't have a charge controller. Working from the instructions in the Mighty Mule gate opener manual, I wired the solar panel to the battery and connected the battery to the gate opener. All had been fine for 3 years until I wired in the 12 volt motion detector light.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by firemediceric
        To show my ignorance, I don't have a charge controller..
        You are lucky you got 3 years, yoiu were overdue for a new battery. Now get a charge controller to go with a new battery. With a 50 watt panel you will need a 10 amp PWM controler. You only need 5 amps but i tis a waste of time looking for a 5 amp controller.

So get you a 10 amp PWM controller and a new 12 volt 50 AH battery.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• firemediceric
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
          You are lucky you got 3 years, yoiu were overdue for a new battery. Now get a charge controller to go with a new battery. With a 50 watt panel you will need a 10 amp PWM controler. You only need 5 amps but i tis a waste of time looking for a 5 amp controller.

So get you a 10 amp PWM controller and a new 12 volt 50 AH battery.
          Thank you for the tip. Unless I'm steered away from it, I'm going with this 7 amp unit: Sunforce 7 Amp Charge Controller

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Thank you for the tip. Unless I'm steered away from it, I'm going with this 7 amp unit: Sunforce 7 Amp Charge Controller

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-7-Amp...FGWK4K8SNAPAEC
            Should be OK, but it paints you into a corner.

Here is what I mean. You may find out that after adding the lights, your panel wattage is too low. With a 7 amp controller limits your panel wattage to roughly 110 watts. That may or may not be enough. My gut felling is it should be OK, and if not, no great loss of $$ if you need to scrap it and buy a larger one.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• firemediceric
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
              Should be OK, but it paints you into a corner.

Here is what I mean. You may find out that after adding the lights, your panel wattage is too low. With a 7 amp controller limits your panel wattage to roughly 110 watts. That may or may not be enough. My gut felling is it should be OK, and if not, no great loss of $$ if you need to scrap it and buy a larger one.
              With mounting just the single motion detector light which is running a LED for a light source, in addition to the gate opener, I think I will be fine. If everything works from the get go will I be good or is it the type of thing that will evolve into a problem overtime as may have been the case by my not using a charge controller for the past few years?

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

With mounting just the single motion detector light which is running a LED for a light source, in addition to the gate opener, I think I will be fine. If everything works from the get go will I be good or is it the type of thing that will evolve into a problem overtime as may have been the case by my not using a charge controller for the past few years?
                The biggest problem with not using a CC comes if you go to a larger panel. A sealed lead acid battery cannot tolerate a very high "overcharge" current once it is full. You seem to have done fine for several years without a CC with your small panel, and the gate opener control box may actually contain some overcharge protection. If you go to a larger panel, say 100W, then you will definitely need to use a CC.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Actually 3 years on that battery is about al you can expect. Just get you a charge controller and another battery and you should be fine.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• firemediceric
                    • Nov 2015

Thanks to all of you

Thank you all for the direction. The charging control showed up yesterday evening. I wired that place in between the solar panel and the battery. I then connected the gate opener and the 12 volt LED light as well as a digital volt meter. The sun had set by the time I was done. The battery was reading 12.5 volts and at that time of the evening was not going to get any help from the solar panel. With either the gate opener running or the light shinning, the voltage dropped to only 12.4 volts. With both the gate opener running as well as the light shinning, voltage dropped to 12.3. I have no idea how many times the light may have been activated overnight, but this morning the gate opener functioned just fine.

Thanks for the recommendations of the deep cycle battery, the use of a charge controller and setting me straight that the failure of the battery with the initial connection of the flood light was simply coincidence.

Comment

• geedy
                      • Aug 2018

Which Mighty Mule gate opener model did you buy? Was it any of the models listed on

Been looking at buying one for a while now, but unsure which model to go for.
                      Last edited by Mike90250; 08-18-2018, 12:17 PM. Reason: no links for first posters

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by geedy
                        which mighty mule gate opener model did you buy? Was it any of the models listed on https://renewitsource.com/best-solar...pener-reviews/ ?

Been looking at buying one for a while now, but unsure which model to go for.
                        spam ???

Comment

Working...