X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scheek
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2009

Where to buy string ribbon solar cells

I just bought 36 / 3" x 6" solar cells in a diy kit. Cost about $80. They sent 4 extra which gave me 40. Later they were nice enough to send 10 more free. I only ask for 4. (very nice supplier)

Just how much do these cells really cost?

Doing the math in the original kit of 40 I have about $2 per cell or about $1.14 per watt.

Seems to me these little rascals should be worth about $1.00 ea.

I checked for businesses in China and they all wanted $1.19 and more per watt. I was surprised.

After I purchased the cells and bought my materials, I am about $15 from buying a manufactured panel for $159. (60 watt)

Are there any NEW/$1. cells out there?

Anyway, I'm new and thought I'd throw that in.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I keep saying, it's a great science project to build your own panels that will work for a while. But if you need real power, reliably, buy 'em.

So what's your time worth, that you spent building them ? $2 /hr. $30 hr What if you stayed overtime at work, instead of building them?

Welcome to the forum
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• scheek
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mike90250
      I keep saying, it's a great science project to build your own panels that will work for a while. But if you need real power, reliably, buy 'em.

So what's your time worth, that you spent building them ? $2 /hr. $30 hr What if you stayed overtime at work, instead of building them?

Welcome to the forum
      That was not my question, but to answer yours...it's the education of it all. From what I have read there have been others who have had success in building their own panels and they are still working after many years.

Since building panels has become more affordable, we can only wait and see how they turn out.

Comment

Working...