Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar panel outdoor application, how to protect it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar panel outdoor application, how to protect it?

Hello everyone,

I just joined because I see a lot of interesting discussion here regarding solar panels.
    I am developing a project with some municipalities and I am going to install some small solar panels that will be used to recharge the batteries of a devices that will be installed outdoor.

The solar panel I chose is a flexible one and provides 7.2V – 100mA. (I chose this due to the surface where it will have to be installed).

However we are afraid that people might steal it, scratch it or break it, so I though we could make a hole for the solar panel to be installed from inside the "container" where the device is sitting, and then apply on top (maybe not directly attach to it) a sort of protection, like a glass, plexiglass etc.

Since I am totally new to this, could you guys point me towards the "best" choice of material for this?

I appreciate very much!!

PS: If you guys know about a flexible solar panel that could provide at least 300 or 500mA please point me to it! It'd be awesome!

Cheers.

Originally posted by maeishoj View Post
    However we are afraid that people might steal it, scratch it or break it, so I though we could make a hole for the solar panel to be installed from inside the "container" where the device is sitting, and then apply on top (maybe not directly attach to it) a sort of protection, like a glass, plexiglass etc.
    This is in general a bad idea. You'll cook the panel (a glass box is an excellent solar heater) and quickly damage it. You'll also reduce the amount of power that it will generate.

If it's an amorphous flexible panel don't worry too much about damage. They are almost indestructible and will generally continue to work even if full of holes.

Comment

With regard to theft, if they decide that they are going to have it, they will, sad to say.

I find that, bolting the panel frame in place and then welding the nut to the bolt, is enough to put all but the most determined thief off. Unless that is, they are so wanton as to be prepared to angle grind the nuts off.
      Best of luck,

regards
      Confused

Comment

Originally posted by confused View Post
        With regard to theft, if they decide that they are going to have it, they will, sad to say.

I find that, bolting the panel frame in place and then welding the nut to the bolt, is enough to put all but the most determined thief off. Unless that is, they are so wanton as to be prepared to angle grind the nuts off.
        Best of luck,

regards
        Confused

All right then!
        Thanks!!

Comment

Solar panel outdoor application, how to protect it?

What was needed was to deter the crime, slow the thieves, summon a timely armed response, and document the attempted crime. To
          How I Solved It

Each solar panel mounted atop a metal frame and was attached with several perimeter bolts. Those bolts were replaced by hardened versions that had a small pre-drilled hole through its center (across the threads, not vertically). A small hinged cover was welded to the supportive frame, so as to rest on top of this bolt and also surround all exposed sides of the bolt. The covers also had a tiny pre-drilled hole. This process was repeated for all of the mounting bolts. Small holes were then strategically drilled into the mounting frame

Mod note - forget links
          Last edited by russ; 07-30-2012, 02:36 AM. Reason: removed link
          Surge Protection

Comment

Working...
          X