• Show
Clear All

• More thoughts on Cover Glass

Hi all,
    I'm planning on my first panel, and parts of my planning include
    1. possible minimum spending
    2. light weighted
    3. endurance and efficency

I first thought of acrylic plate for the light weight and cheap price, but I realize it may not stay clear for more than 3 years under the sun.
    glass then seems to be the only choice for endurance. I'm not very familiar with plexiglass, and had only read about it today.. what else do you recommend as a good material for the top cover?

If I were to use an highly transparent insulating film (perhaps very expensive) to reduce the heat and UV, and at the same time using it to hold a non-tempered glass (less expensive) together and act as if the glass is tempered, would this insulating film reduce my cell efficency? or have you other better suggestions?

thanks

Plastic is great for a 2 year panel. Do not insulate it, the hot blue solar chips need to re-radiate the heat they create
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Consider polycarbonate - for greenhouse applications they sell UV resist types that are guaranteed not to yellow for a number of years and it has relatively good light transmission.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
      X