X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FruitLooPs
    • Mar 2012

Co-Polymer encapsulation

Hey guys,

1st post and maybe something helpful for people. I've been looking into DIY solar panels, but price/performance doesn't gel for me except for small scale project/learning.

Anyhow, while on the hunt for encapsulation that isn't so expensive I came across this product common to us kiwis and Australians. Selleys All Clear, turns out someone else has already tried it and has video on youtube.

"Selleys ALL CLEAR is a clear neutral cure (non-corrosive) co-polymer multipurpose sealant, that provides long lasting protection by forming a clear flexible film on top of a surface that won’t crack or dry out. The solution to water leakage and seepage around the home. SELLEYS ALL CLEAR is a high grade water resistant sealant."

Glass like clarity – dries clear to blend with the surface.
    Suitable for old and new surfaces as it cuts through light oil deposits for excellent adhesion and seals effectively even on weathered surfaces.
    Suitable for damp non porous surfaces eg metals, glass, glazed tiles.
    Paintable with oil and water based paints.
    Multipurpose – can be used on most building materials and won’t crack or dry out.
    Mould resistant to help protect against unsightly mould growth on the sealant.
    Good weatherability and resistance to UV light.
    Excellent gap filling characteristics.

So it seems to suffice so far as UV protection, light transmission, water/vapour protection (vapour? not sure, but its listed separately to silicone sealants in a category of co-polymer sealant so possibly). Some fella in Oz has already been using the stuff, thinned and reckons its cheap as when thinned out with turpentine (video quotes ~$10 vs $50 for proper encapsulation supply)

Anyhow, I don't have the patience to run trials with the stuff longer term to find it does eventually yellow or fail etc etc but feel free to investigate it.

Hmm technical specs say "minor chalking after 500hrs light exposure" so maybe no good - also won't adhere through ice/frost, whether that means you're attempting to bond frozen things will fail or whether microscopic vapour gets transmitted and solidifies in freezing temps and ruins the bond I don't know.
Working...