Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woody
    • Oct 2011

Epoxy Resin and Other Encapsulants

Epoxy resin is used to encapsulate PC boards. Why not use it as a coating on both sides of the cells, then you can adhere with whatever you want to. You can thin epoxy with 10% acetone for a thinner coating but I don't think that it would be necessary, or advisable. West marine 105 has a UV stable hardener that stays clear. About $100.00 per gallon retail. I find it hard to believe that this has not been tried in the industry at some point. Anyone know of testing from one of the labs? Has anyone tried this approach?
  • Woody
    • Oct 2011

Has anyone tried to have the cells between two pieces of glass with a vacuum in between, or argon gas? That would help to solve the thermal issues as well.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Woody
      Has anyone tried to have the cells between two pieces of glass with a vacuum in between, or argon gas? That would help to solve the thermal issues as well.
      Argon leaks out in 10 years, in factory made, dual glaze windows.
      Vacuum woudl be even less lifetime, and allow no heat transfer (themos bottle)
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Woody
        • Oct 2011

Thanks Mike.

What about a glass "sandwich" with a replaceable (every X years) of desiccant through a threaded connection?

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Windows are a far, far bigger market than solar panels - if that type of thing was practical it would already be done.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Woody
            • Oct 2011

Russ,

Thank you, I see your point. No one I know would think of the interior of windows as having to have maintenance. However, possibly a DIY type solar panel without having the expense of the encapsulation might easily trade the maintenance for the cost of encapsulation. Aren't we talking about a small amount of water vapor over a long period of time here to actually penetrate the seal?

I am thinking that a soda straw sized desiccant inside, between the glass panes through a copper 3/8" tubing with a simple cap on the outside of the seal, (straw glued to the cap). I am going to do an annual inspection of any DIY PV panels anyway, why not require an annual desiccant replacement on a hot summer day?

I know that when striving for an absolute for a long period of time leads to exaggerated expense when a lower cost maintenance would serve the purpose just as well.

I think way "outside the box", and large portion of those thoughts are absurd, and will not work. Is there a reason that you can think of that this would not work?

Thanks for your time.

Comment

• digimart
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2011

So after such a long discussion, we have had here, do we arrive at some acceptable solution for encapsulations ?

I understand that while opting for DIY we may be sacrificing a little, but if the cost-benefit ratio is positive, then its a doable transaction.
              [B]Omar S Chaudhry[/B]
              DigiMart
              Lahore

Comment

Working...