Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Energy_freeloader
    • Nov 2010

My 10 watt panel with using solar-tite 384 encapsulant instead of sylgard

I have been trying to build about 4-5 200 watt panels for the past 2 months now to see if I can do away with these ridiculous charges from the power company but was put off by the total expenses, I mean the best I could do was $3/watt so it didn't seem to be worth the effort to me. It seems that encapsulating the cells (ie. sylgard 184) is the biggest contributor(I would have needed about 4 jars of the stuff for each of the panels). Using epoxy just didn't seem appropriate, for starters it yellows over time and it is too rigid and at this level of investment that was not going to work. I did a search online and came up with this

They claim that this solartite is just like sylgard but it is much cheaper(they are offering one jar for about $35) so i decided to try it out. I also bought some 1.5x3 solar cells to test this solartite in a 10 watt solar panel diy. The mixing of the stuff goes like sylgard, 10 parts of the base to 1 part of the curing agent(even smells similar). So I built an aluminum frame(bought from home-depot), integrated the usual lexan sheet and poured the stuff in. It started to get thicker and set after a few hours and when it was done, the finished stuff was just like sylgard, couldn't tell the difference between the two. The 10 watt panel is looking very nice. I'll upload some pictures when I get home.

Now that the initial test of this solartite is complete, I want to move on to the main project but I'll appreciate some input from those with more experience with this kind of stuff, in particular if you have ever used this solar-tite before or if you have past experience with building solar panels, please help
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Energy_freeloader
    I have been trying to build about 4-5 200 watt panels for the past 2 months now to see if I can do away with these ridiculous charges from the power company but was put off by the total expenses, I mean the best I could do was $3/watt so it didn't seem to be worth the effort to me.
    So please tell how building your own panels going to save you 1 dime? If you could build 5-200 watt panels that actually work and last more than a year or two will generate about 40-cents worth of electricity per day or about $12 per month, $144 per year.

You could have bought commercial panels for about $2 per watt, and they will work and last for 20 to 30 years. Plus you could have had your neighbors pick up most the cost. I am sorry to be rude, but I just do not follow the logic. Going about it the way you are is going to cost you more money than just buying power from the utility.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• RifRaf
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2010

hi, the new encapsulant sounds good, sylgard needs some competition to get the price down to a more reasonable one and once there are a few products like this available then diy panels will become even more cost effective.

don't let the sunking bring you down, doubt he has made any successful panels, a good person to calculate battery packs with though, and i highly doubt anyone will sell you a 10 watt panel with 25 years warranty for $20, let alone deliver to australia or many countries 200 watt panels for $400. I will buy a few right now if anyone can supply and give up diy panels.

Comment

• windstar
        • Oct 2010

Sunking is right when he talks about the cost, it makes no sense to make your own for the purpose you are talking about, if you are doing as a hobby fine, have fun, if you are doing because you live in a remote area, your best bet is to buy the panels like sunking says, otherwise keep your money for good.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by RifRaf
          don't let the sunking bring you down, doubt he has made any successful panels.
          You are correct, I am an EE and wouldn't even consider attempting to do so especially when you can buy the panels at lower cost and are certified (UL) to use in home premises wiring systems. There is no code compliant way to use DIY panels, and they will not qualify for any federal or state rebates.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

http://www.sunelec.com/ in Florida, USA, has several panels <$2 watt.

Don't know where you need them shipped to.

After panels, you need racks, wires, Jboxes, breakers, inverters and disconnects, depending on your local electrical codes, so panels that you invest a lot of your time and $ into by home building, and can only expect a .5 - 2 year lifetime out of, may not be the best way to start the project off with .
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• RifRaf
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2010

hi mike, i need them shipped to australia please as i mentioned, its a country on the other side of the world. if you can get them too me for $2 per watt delivered sir I would like to order 5 right now, so long as they are approved for australia, the whole world is not america and americas rules do not apply to the rest of the world. shipping on items like a panel will typical double the price to start with unless you are importing shipping containers full.

sunking you are not the only ee in the world, i finished my studies in 87 but moved on to other things

Comment

• Energy_freeloader
                • Nov 2010

Thanks RifRaf for the vote of confidence. My point of view is that if one can get the right materials at a reasonable price and one has the technical expertise to do this, then more power. People have been using sylgard in solar panels for quite a while now and so far things seem to be going fine. As far as I am concerned, this is proof that sylgard works and DIY is a viable approach, given that the DIYer has enough technical expertise( I need to say this before they jump on my case). All we seem to hear from detractors are quotes having to do with regulations, insurances and such.

To Mike90250: Those <$2 panels do not have that UL certification that you like so much, even the CE certifications that they may come with are suspect because they usually came from china. I have an MS in EE and I am confident enough to put up my panels against all those <$2 ones anytime!!

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Energy_freeloader
                  To Mike90250: Those <$2 panels do not have that UL certification that you like so much, even the CE certifications that they may come with are suspect because they usually came from china. I have an MS in EE and I am confident enough to put up my panels against all those <$2 ones anytime!!
                  New and used solar panels, inverters, charge controllers, complete solar system kits at wholesale prices. We have best prices in solar panels.

Claims to be German made w/MC4 connectors, and they don't state "no listing" so I assume they are listed somewhere.
                  Usually, when sunelec has blemish panels, they state listed or not. These are full up AFIK.

I personally can care less if you light your roof on fire, you likely know enough not to, but the poor fellow who comes here with his "off the grid for $169 and $49 book" really hasen't a clue what he's in for.....
                  Last edited by Mike90250; 11-22-2010, 06:33 PM.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jrloar
                    • Jan 2011

Cost

I know it has been a while since this post was active but I had a thaught no one has talked about. If a panel is built GOOD (and that is easy) it will last 30 + years. If the panel costs me $1 a wat to build (and they do) what am I saving 20 or 25 years from now on my electric bill? I would BET this is a very good investmant wouldent you?

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Guess it depends on what you call a good investment. In my book is a good investment doubles every 5 to 7 years, not break even in 20 or 30 years.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• nechaus
                        • Dec 2010

Man,

The price of electricity is different all around the world, each country and each state is different.

You say DIY panels wont last long, Well infact they do, but its up to the person making them to vapor barrier them correctly.

As long as each cells is sealed with a good quality resin, and encapsulated correctly. they should do swell..

Some of my friends panels have lasted over 12 months and still putting out the right power... i dont see them dieing anytime soon...

DIY panels are great for camping, garden lights ect.. anything ...

I really get offended when people just get flamed for making diy panels...
                        why not just offer them support so they will last 10 + years...
                        Its very possible

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by nechaus
                          I really get offended when people just get flamed for making diy panels...
                          You might want to seek some professional help with that problem if you let people on the Web get under your skin when they disagree with you. Otherwise you are going to spend your whole life being offended and become a very bitter person
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• john p
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Oct 2010

here are some aprox prices of "certified" panels in Australia.. 1 off prices
                            80w = $400
                            120w = $650
                            175w = $900

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by john p
                              here are some aprox prices of "certified" panels in Australia.. 1 off prices
                              80w = $400
                              120w = $650
                              175w = $900
                              Just why the heck is it so expensive in Australia John? Here in the USA certified panels are just below $2 per watt. Please do not tell me it is because Australia has to import them because that does not hold water, the UL listed inexpensive panels we get in the USA are imported. US made panels, what few there are are well above the $2/watt range. Let's see if you come up with the same answer I have.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...