Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Henrythecat
    • Nov 2010

Best Encapsulation Method Regardless of Cost

What's the best encapsulation method, regardless of cost?
    What do the pro's use?
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Welcome Henry, You can use the search function looking for your answer. There are many different schools of thought on this point.

Welcome again,
    Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• DeltaFox 25
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2009

I can't afford the machinery for EVA so I'd say Sylgard and glass

Comment

• sebagoito
        • Mar 2012

Questions

What is the right material for encapsulation method in a tropical Countries?
        Like Benin west Africa where is hot almost all year.
        What kind of solar cell is good for the solar system there ?
        Thanks

Comment

• hairylegs21
          • Aug 2012

EVA is the best encapsulant system and does not require any expensive equipment !

EVA is what most of the worlds best manufacturers use for a multitude of good reasons. Optical clarity now and after 30 years of exposure, TCE characteristics, great dielectric , and very predictable and uniform thickness everywhere on the panel which also means predictable and uniform cost.
          It is VERY EASY to set up a DIY process to Vacuum press the EVA and then heat it to a uniform temperature to achieve cure and crosslink, which is the key to fantastic adhesion.
          Anyone who would like to know how to do this on their own and on a shoestring should contact me and I can walk you through how to jury rig a production process that will produce great results.
          The only things you can not skimp on are the Soldering iron and Flux applicator, as well as quality tabbing and bus wire, the best EVA Film , the best backsheet and good quality tempered glass. Everything else you can do a hundred different ways and produce great looking and performing panels. Hint .. stay away from heat guns or anyone who says you can use one layer of EVA to "Stick the cells to the Glass" . Also stay away from any " shadow box " type panels and Plexiglass panels ! These are all doomed from the start.
          You can contact me through this board and if you are serious about learning the right way , I will be more than happy to teach you for free. It was my profession and is my hobby, I am retired and have nothing better to do.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by hairylegs21
            EVA is what most of the worlds best manufacturers use for a multitude of good reasons. Optical clarity now and after 30 years of exposure, TCE characteristics, great dielectric , and very predictable and uniform thickness everywhere on the panel which also means predictable and uniform cost.
            It is VERY EASY to set up a DIY process to Vacuum press the EVA and then heat it to a uniform temperature to achieve cure and crosslink, which is the key to fantastic adhesion.
            Anyone who would like to know how to do this on their own and on a shoestring should contact me and I can walk you through how to jury rig a production process that will produce great results.
            The only things you can not skimp on are the Soldering iron and Flux applicator, as well as quality tabbing and bus wire, the best EVA Film , the best backsheet and good quality tempered glass. Everything else you can do a hundred different ways and produce great looking and performing panels. Hint .. stay away from heat guns or anyone who says you can use one layer of EVA to "Stick the cells to the Glass" . Also stay away from any " shadow box " type panels and Plexiglass panels ! These are all doomed from the start.
            You can contact me through this board and if you are serious about learning the right way , I will be more than happy to teach you for free. It was my profession and is my hobby, I am retired and have nothing better to do.
            Please post replies on the forum for all to read.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• gof
              • Sep 2012

I'd be interested in the detailed method as well.

Comment

• michael
                • Feb 2013

DIY vacuum oven for encapsulation

Originally posted by hairylegs21
                I tried using a heat gun. Wasn't happy with the results. Tried building a DIY oven which worked fine, but the vacuum part is stumping me. I'd be very interested in hearing about your method. Thanks in advance. Michael

Comment

• elhifnawyplast
                  • Jan 2013

Me too

I'd be interested in the detailed method as well.

Comment

Working...