X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longwolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2010

Testing a tester

So I have a digital multimeter that I don't quite trust.
    I have a 12 volt fan that's rated at 10 watts/ 0.8 amps.
    All I need to do is place the amp probe leads in series with the fan and hook up to the vans battery right?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Sounds right. And the meter generally has an internal fuse if you make a mistake.

NEVER EVER, use an amp meter to check a battery's 2 terminals. All you get is melted meter leads and a ruined amp meter.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• longwolf
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
      NEVER EVER, use an amp meter to check a battery's 2 terminals. All you get is melted meter leads and a ruined amp meter.
      LOL, yea my 1500 cold cranking amps just might void the warranty.
      But hey, I might get a new piece of abstract art

Comment

• longwolf
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2010

I found another way.
        I went to an electronics store to get diodes.
        The guy loaned me his tester.
        It was too cloudy to get high readings, but his and my testers gave the same result.

It's really a pretty neat tool, I call it my tri-quoter.
        I couldn't find it listed on harbor freights web site, but it does ac/dc volts, amps, ohms capactance, frequency and duty.
        It also does ambient temp, probed temp, humidity, light and sound levels.
        All or $40.

Comment

Working...