X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bcroe
    replied
    DC Clamp on Meter

Another clamp on meter with 40A and 400A DC scales is the TENMA 72-7226. I
    managed to get one on sale for $40 from MCM, but regular isn't a lot more. Very
    good for a quick panel test, effect of moving shadows, etc for my several
    paralleled panels. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    Sunking is trying to help people - sharing the knowledge as best one can.

Too many of the sites concerning solar and wind are full of green types that jump at anything some fool movie star praises as being great and green.

Never mind that the movie star or TV personality has not idea at all of what is being talked about. Jay Leno and Ed Begley come to mind. Some of the stuff they push borders on silly.

Better to have a touch with reality when starting off on a project and expenditures.

Russ

Leave a comment:

• iamshane
    Guest replied
    Wow! Thanks for your post man, I really find it very interesting and informative.. But why would you post and make it sound so god yet you are not interested?

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    started a topic A Good Meter For Solar System Testing

A Good Meter For Solar System Testing

For your solar power equipment you need a good meter than can measure both voltage and current safely. Voltage is no problem using probes, but current poses a problem, especially safely and accurately.

Measuring current in th eole days required breaking the circuit, and putting a meter in series to measure the current. It takes skill and knowledge to do that. However in the past decade clamp on current meters using the Hall Effect have came onto the market. Clamp-On meters are simple to use to measure current. All you do is open up the JAWS of the meter and CLAMP it On around the conductor you want to measure the current. No need to touch any live circuits or risk opening a circuit. Pretty much HANDS OFF.

Problem in the past Hall Effect Meters have been very expensive around $200 or more. But today you can get decent one for around $50 to $60 that includes a volt meter, resistance, capacitance, frequency, and temperature.

Such a meter is invaluable for a solar system testing. Ok I have have found a METER that is inexpensive, and right on target for solar systems because it has a DC Amp scale of 40 and 400 amps. That is right in the SWEET SPOT. It will also measure AC and DC voltages, and even with a temp probe tell you when your steak or roast is the perfect temperature on the grill.

OK here is the Meat. Look for an EXTECH MA220. If you shop around you can get them new for $50 plus shipping.

FWIW I am not a SPAMMER and have no interest in the product. I use FLUKE.
Working...