2x4 tempered low iron glass panels available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x4 tempered low iron glass panels available

not sure where this goes on this forum, saw no classified section. if this is not permitted, please delete. I read rules and it sounded OK. If anybody is interested, I can get 2 foot by 4 foot glass panels, new from the factory, and also reject panels, which might just have a small chip in the corner, or a small scratch, defects which are hardly noticeable to your eye. The actual measurements are 47.25 by 23.625 inches, or 47 1/4 by 23 5/8 inches, and 1/8 inch thick. The sides are sanded and beveled, rounded, not sharp. We have one set listed on Ebay, if you search " solar panel glass". Look for the pink picture. I would like to sell these at $45 per set, or $25 for one panel. Sometimes, we can get the rejected glass panels, and could sell those for $30 a set. It will cost us about $5 just to build a wood crate to ship them in, and this cost is already included in the prices I quoted. . If you wanted a larger group of panels, we can negotiate a price. I am going to buy 12 glass panels for a project of my own. We are located in southern Wisconsin, south of madison. You can pick them up for no shipping cost, or we could deliver for a fee. My friend works at the factory where they make the low iron, tempered, and coated glass panels. These panels are made for some of the big solar panel manufacturing companies. The real expense would be shipping them. I can get matched sets, where you get a front glass panel, and a matching back glass panel. The back panel they use has a 3/4 inch hole used to run the wires to the solar cells. You could also buy two panels without the hole. We are trying to figure out how to sell them to do it yourself people. It seems the pre-made solar panels are very expensive, only affordable to the wealthy part of society. We want to make our own, and help others make their own panels. They might also work to make solar air or water space heaters. I am going to use these glass panels to make a solar space heater for my home this summer or fall, so it is ready to use this winter in chilly Wisconsin. If i can help anybody out, feel free to PM me. One set of 2 panels weighs 25 pounds. The wood crate will weigh another 5 pounds or so. I can ship USPS or UPS. Shipping will be $30 to $40 dollars, or even $55 if you wanted USPS priority shipping. We could also ship a larger set of panels by truck freight if you can make that work. If I remember right when i worked at a warehouse, the lowest truck freight for a small crate was about $60. I bet it has not changed too much.

-Jim

Any chance of getting custom sized glass?
    I'm fitting my panels to a van roof and need 57 inch by 26 inch panes.

Comment

Nope. Panel is one size only. You can't alter or cut tempered glass. It will shatter. Glass is drilled and beveled on edges at factory, maybe before it is tempered with heat. Not sure how they do it, but it is what it is. roughly 2 x 4 feet. You have to make this size fit your plan if you want to use them. I noticed my friend is selling these on Ebay for $20 starting bid for two front panels now. Search ebay for solar panel glass. I guess you could use the front panel only if you want to make a solar panel using that "slaygard' compound or whatever it is to seal the back side of the panel.

Comment

still selling glass panels? Im interested

Originally posted by Quad Dad View Post
        not sure where this goes on this forum, saw no classified section. if this is not permitted, please delete. I read rules and it sounded OK. If anybody is interested, I can get 2 foot by 4 foot glass panels, new from the factory, and also reject panels, which might just have a small chip in the corner, or a small scratch, defects which are hardly noticeable to your eye. The actual measurements are 47.25 by 23.625 inches, or 47 1/4 by 23 5/8 inches, and 1/8 inch thick. The sides are sanded and beveled, rounded, not sharp. We have one set listed on Ebay, if you search " solar panel glass". Look for the pink picture. I would like to sell these at $45 per set, or $25 for one panel. Sometimes, we can get the rejected glass panels, and could sell those for $30 a set. It will cost us about $5 just to build a wood crate to ship them in, and this cost is already included in the prices I quoted. . If you wanted a larger group of panels, we can negotiate a price. I am going to buy 12 glass panels for a project of my own. We are located in southern Wisconsin, south of madison. You can pick them up for no shipping cost, or we could deliver for a fee. My friend works at the factory where they make the low iron, tempered, and coated glass panels. These panels are made for some of the big solar panel manufacturing companies. The real expense would be shipping them. I can get matched sets, where you get a front glass panel, and a matching back glass panel. The back panel they use has a 3/4 inch hole used to run the wires to the solar cells. You could also buy two panels without the hole. We are trying to figure out how to sell them to do it yourself people. It seems the pre-made solar panels are very expensive, only affordable to the wealthy part of society. We want to make our own, and help others make their own panels. They might also work to make solar air or water space heaters. I am going to use these glass panels to make a solar space heater for my home this summer or fall, so it is ready to use this winter in chilly Wisconsin. If i can help anybody out, feel free to PM me. One set of 2 panels weighs 25 pounds. The wood crate will weigh another 5 pounds or so. I can ship USPS or UPS. Shipping will be $30 to $40 dollars, or even $55 if you wanted USPS priority shipping. We could also ship a larger set of panels by truck freight if you can make that work. If I remember right when i worked at a warehouse, the lowest truck freight for a small crate was about $60. I bet it has not changed too much.

-Jim
        I am just starting to learn about solar water heating and would like to put together my own small DIY flat plate collector to experiment with on my chicken coop to keep their water from freezing in the winter. I read that low iron tempered glass is the best stuff to use in this application. Is your offer still available? Im only looking for small amounts right now but that may change.

Comment

Price is decent

I am having trouble finding anyone in Western NY selling low iron tempered 1/8", which i think would work fine.

If quad could contact me at mas753 at yahoo.com that'd be great.

Thanks! Mark

Mod note - try not to put a usable email address in an open post - can get you loaded down with spam
          Last edited by russ; 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Unable to find reasonable glass prices and size for PV panels

If anyone has a connection or knows Quad on this thread please chime in!

I have some in Fremont CA but they will not ship it, its local pickup.....I'm in western NY

Thanks, Mark

Comment

I'm Very Interested

Is this opportunity still available?

Originally posted by Quad Dad View Post

-Jim

Comment

I'd look for some assurance this material really is low iron glass and it really is tempered. Saying so don't always make it so. The less green the edges the less the iron content.

I'd also keep in mind that 1/8" is probably OK for non production with respect to handling for 24" X 48", but still may require constant awareness when handling. Much larger and expect some breakage w/out real care or some knowledge of hoe to handle large lites (been there).

Mark: On WNY glass: There was an outfit in Buffalo that handled low iron glass, but that was in the '80's and I believe they went under. I'm trying to think of the name that perhaps may be a start.

Try this: Guardian Industries. they have a float glass plant in Geneva, NY. (315) 787 - 7000.

Comment

Working...
                X