Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erl
    • May 2010

Acrylic Resin (Plastik70) as encapsulant

I bought a spray called Plastik70, intended to protect circuit boards from moisture etc.

It is said to be "Quick drying, colourless transparent, flexible, UV light resistant", so it seems to satisfy requirements for an encapsulant.

I sprayed it on a cell, and with a simple setup did not detect a decrease in output power. My next step will be to spray some on a plexiglass piece, some on a cell and see if I can bond them without air bubbles.

Has anyone tried a compound like this as an encapsulant?

The only possible downside that i can see is that it has a temperature limit of between 60 and 100
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

a panel in the sun, would rarely see 100C. 60-70C is likely on a hot day, no wind
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• longwolf
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2010

Hi Erl,
      How much did it cost and how many cells do you think you can seal with it?

Comment

• Erl
        • May 2010

Price of Plastik70, Moeller Clear Coat, UV resistance

Originally posted by longwolf
        How much did it cost and how many cells do you think you can seal with it?
        It is much less expensive than Sylgard 184, that's for sure.

I bought a 200 ml spray bottle from Elfa for 62 SEK (

Comment

• Erl
          • May 2010

UV Resistance of Plastik70

Originally posted by Erl
          I'm a bit unsure of how UV-resistant the stuff is. I found the site I quoted and a data sheet with google saying it is UV-resistant, but the current data sheet doesn't say anything about UV-resistance. I e-mailed the manufacturer to ask.
          I got the following reply:
          Plastik 70 has a UV resistance. However long term exposure to bright sunlight might end up with slight cracking of the coating when afterwards fast temperature changes occur.
          Last edited by Erl; 05-19-2010, 04:59 AM. Reason: Set title

Comment

• Erl
            • May 2010

Unsuccessful experiments

I've made some attempts now, and none have been successful. I think the problem is that the Plastik70 is made for being applied in thin layers, and I need thicker encasing, because of the tabbing wire on the cells.

I tried making a tape 'fence' around a plexi sheet, and spraying lots of the resin spray, hoping it would go under the cells. It didn't work out.

In the belief that documented unsuccesful experiments are (almost) as valuable as successful experiments.

Comment

• avandalen
              • Jun 2010

For my solar bike see here I am looking for a lightweight encapsulation for solar cells such as clear coat. So I am involved with the same thing.
              Plastik70 is not anti-reflective or matte, thus not suitable. If the solar cells are behind glass, the cells should be glued to the glass. There is no air gap allowed between the cells and the glass because of condense.
              But there should exist suitable clear coats for encapsulation.

Comment

• SpaceOddacy
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2010

Can we get that amount in USD?
                But what if you use 12% and only get 8% energy return not filling a battery completely off the solar array- is this considered a cycle? Mmmmmmm mauh brain's sizzling
                [/QUOTE]
                [quote] If a pigeon had his brains it would fly sideways [/quote]

Comment

• cs1248
                  • Dec 2010

encapsulate

anyone used auto bondo?

Comment

Working...