No announcement yet.

Different Colour Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The electrician eventually turned up on a cold miserable day with no sun, 3 months after I first reported my concerns and all he did was measure the voltage at the bottom of each isolator connected to each string of 8 panels. The voltages were 268.3V and 267.1V so he said he thought everything was ok. Is this an adequate test? I asked can you check the DC Current to confirm they were balanced and he couldn't do this as he didn't have a DC Current clamp.

Comment

I've seen this now that you posted closer pictures. When cardboard gets wet and is allowed to contact the panel surface it produces that effect. Did those panels sit in a stack outside before installation? Top panel cardboard gets soaked and begins the etching process. It takes a while...a few weeks or months outside for this to occur. I have never seen a way to remove the etching and the effect does not go away. I do not believe it will affect performance. Just affects appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by steevieboy4u View Post
        The electrician eventually turned up on a cold miserable day with no sun, 3 months after I first reported my concerns and all he did was measure the voltage at the bottom of each isolator connected to each string of 8 panels. The voltages were 268.3V and 267.1V so he said he thought everything was ok. Is this an adequate test? I asked can you check the DC Current to confirm they were balanced and he couldn't do this as he didn't have a DC Current clamp.
        I would be very disappointed he didn't check the current. Its my first tool (after inverter readout) for checking that all is well.
        However, the check should be made in excellent sun. A couple of my "no name" panels worked OK at 50%, but couldn't
        keep up (and went into partial bypass) in strong sun. Bruce Roe

Comment

Not sure how they were stored. The installers brought all the panels with them when they came to install them and they were fitted the same day.

When you say etching effect what do you mean? The photos I posted are showing water/moisture on the surface of the panel, this only happens when its cold and damp outside. This individual panel is also a total different colour compared to the rest even though they are all the exact same panels from the same manufacturer as well.

Comment

Not sure how they were stored. The installers brought all the panels with them when they came to install them and they were fitted the same day.

When you say etching effect what do you mean? The photos I posted are showing water/moisture on the surface of the panel, this only happens when its cold and damp outside. This individual panel is also a total different colour compared to the rest even though they are all the exact same panels from the same manufacturer as well.
            Well, I have had experience with wet cardboard etching. It changes the appearance and the surface characteristics of the panel. As far as I can tell it does NOT change the performance characteristics at least not measurably. Moisture does not shed in the same manner as un-etched panels and the color is dissimilar.

But cardboard etching is not similar over the whole panel in most cases, due to difference in moisture content in the cardboard during the etching process. Looking again at your pics I see uniform difference in color over the entire panel.

So, again without closer inspection, I would say you have a non-batch panel inserted into your array by the installer. Just check the serial numbers on the panels and compare. Very easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post

Just check the serial numbers on the panels and compare. Very easy to do.
              This is far from easy to do I'm afraid, the panels are on my roof which is a 2 story dwelling. I've had my ladders out to see if I can see any serial numbers etc previously and I cannot see any writing or stickers anywhere on the panels.

Comment

This is far from easy to do I'm afraid, the panels are on my roof which is a 2 story dwelling. I've had my ladders out to see if I can see any serial numbers etc previously and I cannot see any writing or stickers anywhere on the panels.
                How close are the panels to the roof? A mirror and a small led flashlight will do the trick.

Comment

There can be also some dust making it other colour. Always you can just clean it if you hadn't
                  [url]http://easysolar.co/[/url]

Comment

The company that installed them eventually replaced the panel.......... almost 6 months after i initially reported it!

They are now all the same colour and working ok. So it was definitely a defective panel

Comment

The company that installed them eventually replaced the panel.......... almost 6 months after i initially reported it!

They are now all the same colour and working ok. So it was definitely a defective panel
                      How many were replaced ? What defects were noted ?

Comment

Hmm I believe it is a superficial effect only, it most likely doesn't affect the panel's performance. Perhaps some of the panels were fitted later than the rest? The usual wear and tear of the panels being exposed to the weather could cause this to have happened

Comment

Working...
                        X