No announcement yet.

Looking for a kit seller with reliable phone support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charlotte, nc requires a cash bond for a big solar install, please do not throw out false accusations just because you have not had issues doesn't mean AHJ's out there can be a hassle to others. Here is a video of a person in CA that had to pay hundreds more for engineer work look at receipt at 16 min mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FruT97Qw8
    potty mouth, but does it sound like in his experience he was treated like any other contractor? No he was treated so badly he decided to make a potty mouth video about it. so no I do not make up stuff to scare people I tell the truth, dont' minimize other's experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
      charlotte, nc requires a cash bond for a big solar install, please do not throw out false accusations just because you have not had issues doesn't mean AHJ's out there can be a hassle to others..........
      Apparently your comment was not made up but it is certainly not relevant to this thread about a California installation. foo1bar specifically referred to California AHJs and you bring up an example from North Carolina.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
        Apparently your comment was not made up but it is certainly not relevant to this thread about a California installation. foo1bar specifically referred to California AHJs and you bring up an example from North Carolina.
        youtube video rant was from California. and I hightly doubt every single California permit department has the same rules. My comments are spot on, permitting is the biggest hassle with a first install and hopefully the OP will get lucky and have no issues
        Last edited by khanh dam; 08-30-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

youtube video rant was from California. and I hightly doubt every single California permit department has the same rules. My comments are spot on, permitting is the biggest hassle with a first install and hopefully the OP will get lucky and have no issues
          I listened to a few minutes of the guy's blathering. At ~16:30 he complains about how he had to have structural calcs done for City of Palmdale and it cost him $200 to have them done.
          I didn't hear him say that he was treated any differently as an owner-builder than he would have been treated as a contractor.
          Stamped structural calcs are not an unusual request of contractors. My city expects them as well. Fortunately they have an exception/waiver that they don't require the calcs if the attachment points are every 4' (or less) and 24" OC rafters and a few other requirements. The requirements were easy enough for me to do so rather than do the calcs I just took that route.

Since it appears this guy actually did the install, I think it directly contradicts your assertion that owner builder is doable "IN THEORY, BUT NOT IN PRACTICE"
          He actually did it. I did it. Many others have done it.
          IMO if anything I'm probably treated better than the contractors - they know I live in the city and they're there to support me and other citizens of the city. While contractors are most likely from some other city. Of course I try to be friendly, so that probably helps. I'm not like the guy in the video that is ranting about "I hate the city of Palmdale. I used to work for them and I hate them because of when I worked there."

does it sound like in his experience he was treated like any other contractor?
          From what I listened to - yes it sounds like he was treated like any other contractor.
          I didn't listen to the whole thing, so if there are specific parts that you think he wasn't treated the same, maybe you can point out what time in that video.
          Last edited by foo1bar; 08-30-2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

you did not listen to the whole thing, but yet you can conclude how he was treated because you listed to part of it? and now you want me to rewatch it and point out stuff for what grand purpose, so you and I can debate something that I'm obviously right about? give me a break, got better things to do than engage in this drivel.

Comment

now you want me to rewatch it and point out stuff for what grand purpose, so you and I can debate something that I'm obviously right about?
              ​​​​
              If you don't want to listen to it, that's fine. The part you specifically mentioned at ~16:30 he apparently IS being treated the same as other contractors.
              And that he apparently finished the installation is evidence that you're wrong, but feel free to believe that you are right.

Comment

never said owners couldn't do it, just some jurisdictions make it so hard it's easier not to diy. if you didn't make your own false assumptions you wouldn't get so worked up over nothing.
                http://www.cityofconcord.org/Search?searchPhrase=solar
                for the OP this is the type of paperwork you will have to fill out if you DIY it. the city of Concord will not make you do structural calcs according to their solar guide lines if the racking manufacture can provide the data.

Comment

Working...
                X