24volts/ 0watts /0amps ?????wtf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24volts/ 0watts /0amps ?????wtf?

Today i noticed one of my 4 charge controllers wasnt charging.measured the wire coming from the array 23.4v, then at the connector,23.4v then at each of 4 panels in the array 23.4v.plug it back into the charge controller and it interminttenly stops charging. measure voltage again and still reads 23.4 steady. Switched the array to the other charge controllers it does the same thing.plugged the other arrays back in and all the charge controllers work properly. I cant figure out why im not getting any wattage or amperage out of array but still reads 23.4 volts.open curcuit. Does it mean a short somewhere? Flustered.

That is an odd open circuit voltage. What panels are you using?
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

4 HF amorphous 100w kits rated 25w per panel,18v each but they put out about 20-25v open curcuit full sun. 10a charge controllers. The other arrays put out the same voltage but also about 35-40w 3-almost 4 amps. This one..nothing...i tried hooking it straight to the battery...still nothing.

Comment

Measure the ...
        a) The Open Circuit voltage AND
        b) The Short Circuit amps
        of each PV Panel indivdiually

Comment

How old are they? These panels are only good for 3 - 4 years. They are known to die an early death.

Comment

they arent that old..bought 1st set in may.

Comment

Maybe, if you take them back to Harbor Freight they will replace them.

Comment

problem solved guys. It was two things...one, a loose crimp connector and two, my multimeter has 2 seperate fuses one for voltage one for amp. The amp side fuse was blown. I checked short circuit amp on each of the panels and found about 1 amp each.then traced the wire down and found the loose connector.

Wierd how it still ready voltage but no amps on my seperate inline multimeter.i suppose it was just enough wire to complete the connection but not enough to draw current.

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy1980 View Post
                  problem solved guys. It was two things...one, a loose crimp connector and two, my multimeter has 2 seperate fuses one for voltage one for amp. The amp side fuse was blown. I checked short circuit amp on each of the panels and found about 1 amp each.then traced the wire down and found the loose connector.

Wierd how it still ready voltage but no amps on my seperate inline multimeter.i suppose it was just enough wire to complete the connection but not enough to draw current.
                  Your problem is common in automotive work. Eg, The wire has voltage but the headlight wont work.

Think of the terms carry volts and carry current rather than draw current.

Think voltage as being very light but current is heavy.

You only need one strand of wire and a light connection to carry voltage, but need all strands of wire, clean in good condition and good connections to carry current.

Comment

Working...
                  X