Which Solar Kit?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animag771
    replied
    SunEagle - Thanks for the reply. I have already spoken to the POCO and they don't have any issues with me performing the install as long as the property has adequate insurance and there is an accessable service disconnect. I'll also have to purchase a different meter from them.

That makes sense about the posts. Now I feel dumb. I thought there was some sort of glitch since I was posting it from my phone or something. Thank you for deleting the duplicates.

Laspher - It's​ new construction and made sure to build the roof to withstand the additional weight to allow for plenty of solar panels. Good looking out.

Mike90250 - Thanks, that's just the kind of information I'm looking for. Maybe the single MPPT would be a good choice for me then? Still researching them to get more info.

J.P.M. - I'll look into that book. It is indeed a lot to learn and I've tried to absorb it all, the best I can. I live in the country and only have access to one utility company and I'm pretty sure they are capitalizing on that, because they are charging 16

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Before you buy anything, as Suneagle suggests, check out grid tie requirements. Then, download "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies" or get an updated version for ~ $25 at bookstores or amazon.

Your sizing methodology gets about the same result as PVWatts, but you may get more details w/ the book and familiarity w/ the PVWatts model. Read the help/info screens first and make a few runs. The learning curve is rather steep. Given your location and perhaps relatively low POCO rates ans mostly because of your relatively frugal usage, you may be looking at a relatively long payback time.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    The different inverter styles are to deal with poor conditions. Great conditions, no shade, a simple MPPT string inverter is good. If you have shade issues (chimneys, vent pipes, power pole shadows) then the optimizer and micros are better at handling those poor conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Laspher
    replied
    Yeah, I missed that link eating forum moderation thing when I first joined as well. Good luck with finding out what you are allowed to do. Research, you have to check everything, including possible inability of your roof to withstand the load.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Just to let you know your posts didn't just disappear. The forum software won't let a new member attached web-links so the post goes to an unapproved folder for the Mods to review.

I approved this post and deleted the other duplicate posts.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Before you purchase any kit I would make sure you are allowed to install a pv system that is grid tied. Usually you should contact your POCO to find out what is allowed and what the homeowner can do or if a certified electrician is required for any part of the installation. Don't assume because you can purchase a kit you will be allowed to legally install it.

Leave a comment:

• Animag771
    started a topic Which Solar Kit?

Which Solar Kit?

Hi, I'm looking into buying a DIY solar kit within the next few days/weeks, depending on how quickly I can decide on a kit. I found a website called BluePacificSolar.com and I've been looking at their grid-tied kits that use Canadian Solar panels. I'm wanting to get the best bang for my buck.

I've done the calculations and I need about a 3.3KW kit.
    I use on average about 13.4KWh/day and I live near Ft. Worth, TX. According to the internet I get anywhere from 5.2-5.83 sun hours a day, but I've done my math at 4.7 just to be on the safe side. The panels will be roof mounted, south facing and completely unobstructed.

Watts per sun hour: 13,400W / 4.7hrs = 2,851W
    Subtracting (way low) inverter efficiency: 2,851W / 0.85 = 3,354W

So I've found a few different kits that are similarly priced. They all use Canadian Solar, monocrystaline panelsbut they all use different​​​​​​ inverter systems. The first one uses an MPPT inverter, the second one uses micro-inverters and the last one uses power optimizers and an inverter.

1: https://www.bluepacificsolar.com/sol...solar-kit.html

2: https://www.bluepacificsolar.com/enp...solar-kit.html

3: https://www.bluepacificsolar.com/sol...ono-3360w.html

Are any of these worth getting?
    Pros and cons to each?
    Which is the best value?
    Is there something better out their for me?
Working...