Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oldie
    • Mar 2013

Soldering tabs.

Soldering the tabs on cells, some say to solder the tab strip the full length of the tab bar on the cell.
    Is there any reason for soldering the full length on the cell and leaving enough strip to connect the bottom of the next cell? If the tab wire is soldered all along the tab bar wont it conduct equally as well as only soldering an extention on the ends only, thereby reducing the risk of heat distortion and cracking. If it is feasable to just extend the tab strip I will construct my next panel by tabing the backs first leaving a short piece over then glue the cells on a backing board all spaced neatly then solder the short wire on the ends of the tab bars on the tops of the cell.
    I would like to hear comments on my post.
    Best wishes to all.
  • green
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2012

You want to tab the entire length of the cell. The tabbing wire does a better job of transfering the current than the white tabbing strip that is on the cell. Basicaly the white stuff on the cell is enough to conduct the current from the individual cell but not sufficient to transfer the entire current from the panel.

Comment

• Oldie
      • Mar 2013

Thanks for the prompt reply,
      looking back now at my post it was'nt such a bright one at all, if my idea of tabing the front of the cell was feasable it would be the common practice, what I had in mind is to build a panel with minimum of handling of the cells also have a neat and compact array, I will still proceed with gluing the cells in place first but will work back to front that is I will tab the backs first then glue in place leaving enough strip to go over the top of the next cell. I'll try the idea with 2 or 3 cells first they space out well using 1/8 inch cross wall tile spacers.

Comment

Working...