Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cuban88
    • Aug 2009

New to solar: Inspired

I have a few ideas I would like to use solar power for. However, the only knowledge I have is what I've learned through google and some library books.

First, The Idea..
    I have a cell phone that I will be using to experiment. The battery is a BST-41 by Sony Ericsson. This is the information that is printed on it;
    1203-8161 1 typ/min 1500/1450mAH 5.4Wh

The Objective..
    To charge my cell phone

The knowledge..
    I would like to know if there is a formula or calculation that is used to calculated the type of solar panel that is used to charge this battery.
    Also, I'd like to hear from everyone that comes across this thread as far your knowledge and wisdom in this field.
    I appreciate everyones help and shared knowledge....
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

For a battery you describe, a small 10w panel would be plenty. What you need is the "special charge controller for that special battery". That will be the hard item to find
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Cuban88
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Mike90250
      For a battery you describe, a small 10w panel would be plenty. What you need is the "special charge controller for that special battery". That will be the hard item to find
      Is there a way to use the electronics in the existing wall charger as the charge controller and connect that to the solar panel some how?
      My goal is to create a "snap on back cover" for my cell phone. That would keep it more of a "slim" look yet effective. I just dont know how small I could get a solar panel that will actually charge the battery I described above. The panel would have to be around 1 3/4" in width by about 4" in length. So far I haven't found a 10w panel this size. They are usually 10"Wx16"L.

I found this earlier, would this help me any?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

So you want to integrate a PV charging panel on the back of your phone?
        2 ways to manage this.
        First though, you have to measure the output voltage of your phones charger. Sometimes you can read faint print on it: 4.7VDC 100mA or something like that.

Buy raw cells, as large as you can fit, each cell is about 0.5V output. Amps depend on the physical size Calculate how many 0.5V cells you need to match, +1 cell, the wall chargers voltage.

Measure and see how many and of what shape, you can fit on the backside of the phone, to get the required voltage. Apply, wire and encapsulate them.

If you are really lucky, you can use it to extend the time between charges, but I think a phone may require more power than you can fit onto it. Maybe charge with it off 2 days, and use for half day.

Or, look for a premade cell phone charger with cord that fits your phone

A google search on " cell phone solar charger " shows a bunch

http://store.sundancesolar.com/disoch.html talks about some of the ways to do it.

Remember, solar cells (raw cells) are paper thin, and very fragile, so mounting them will be difficult.

Mike
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Cuban88
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Mike90250
          So you want to integrate a PV charging panel on the back of your phone?
          2 ways to manage this.
          First though, you have to measure the output voltage of your phones charger. Sometimes you can read faint print on it: 4.7VDC 100mA or something like that.

Buy raw cells, as large as you can fit, each cell is about 0.5V output. Amps depend on the physical size Calculate how many 0.5V cells you need to match, +1 cell, the wall chargers voltage.

Measure and see how many and of what shape, you can fit on the backside of the phone, to get the required voltage. Apply, wire and encapsulate them.

If you are really lucky, you can use it to extend the time between charges, but I think a phone may require more power than you can fit onto it. Maybe charge with it off 2 days, and use for half day.

Or, look for a premade cell phone charger with cord that fits your phone

A google search on " cell phone solar charger " shows a bunch

http://store.sundancesolar.com/disoch.html talks about some of the ways to do it.

Remember, solar cells (raw cells) are paper thin, and very fragile, so mounting them will be difficult.

Mike
          Thank you for your advice, I just got into solar so I'm learning a little each day. I will look into the products that I can use in the manner that you described above and I will get back to you with updates.
          Thanks again. I'm glad I found this forum.

Comment

Working...