my DIY solar tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my DIY solar tracker

The tracker would travel from west to east or vice versa. My initial idea is to control the motor by using of PIC/microcontroller (programmable integrated circuit) by the using 2 photoresistors/LDR's to detect the sun for west or east.

I'm having trouble in what motor to use for the tracker. Is there a specific motor should I use?
    My biggest concern is the weight of the motor it can handle and how to control it. Anyone got ideas to share? I really would appreciate any help.

Thanks

A dc motor out of an old garage door opener is what I used. DC motors are simplest to make run both ways.
    Hit up your local garage door company's and see if there's one in the dumpster.

Comment

That's a good suggestion. Do you know how much weight that kind of motors can handle? Thanks

Comment

Motor

Whatever DC motor you use make sure its geared reduction. Im just useing a car window motor with a double gear box running a flywheel. Check out my post in assy and connection and youll see. I,m also using a pic micrcontroller to track.
        Good LuckIMG_0696.JPG

Comment

how much weight are you going to try to move?

Comment

My whole panel assy is about 450 lbs but since it sits centered on the pole with tapered bearings there is hardly no load on the motor. With the motor disconnected you can move it with your little finger. The motor only draws 1 amp when running
            Attached Files

Comment

I'd imagine too, it depends on how big an array you intend to move. Mine have 10 panels per array, and the last one I built uses 245w panels, which, if I recall, were 39" x 68"....so you're talking 184 sqft of panel....which is quite a SAIL if you get much wind. While they move very easily on the bearings ( I used 2" pillow block bearings ), it's still a lot of SAIL area.

I used a heavy duty Linear Actuator, and on the biggest array ( which I made dual axis ), I put a pair of heavy duty MonroeMatic truck shocks on the North/South tilt axis to give some extra points of support.

The below is a single axis tracker ( east/west ).

The newest array, the one with sun on it in the photo, ( this fall ) is a dual axis.

Comment

Originally posted by Slidegate View Post
                Whatever DC motor you use make sure its geared reduction. Im just useing a car window motor with a double gear box running a flywheel. Check out my post in assy and connection and youll see. I,m also using a pic micrcontroller to track.
                Good Luck[ATTACH=CONFIG]1703[/ATTACH]
                Ok, I am registered.

Comment

Originally posted by pluto711 View Post
                  Ok, I am registered.
                  Hello pluto711 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk, cheers.

Comment

Can any one suggest standards to be followed while chosing or installing a solar actuator. HELP!

Comment

For the price of the actuator and moving mounts, it's generally cheaper now to just buy more panels
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                      X