X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by meridiansolar
    fsec can't restrict what you install in FL, who told you that?
    They do not have to. local electrical codes dictate what can and cannot be done. None will allow DIY panels I know of unless you live on an Indian Reservation or Arkansas.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Stingervf
      • Aug 2011

fsec

goto and read link they are the final word in florida i'm not happy about it

my local permitting office told me that if you quote a system that isn't on fsec list you can't pull permits

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

The law/regulation/rule is there for a reason - to protect the customer.

In the US electric work has to be done to code using UL (or equivalent agency) certified materials - this is nothing special for solar.

Here we don't have the same problem - and things often end up in a mess.
        Last edited by russ; 08-12-2011, 07:47 AM. Reason: added
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• meridiansolar
          • Aug 2011

"The law/regulation/rule is there for a reason - to protect the customer."

The fsec does nothing more than the UL does, it is just a bureacratic bull crap organization run by the govt.

if a solar company spends the money and time to get certifed by UL, why should they have to get recertifed by FSEC? Is there something special about solar panels in florida, of course not.

it is as ridiculous as the
          Home page for the Solar Rating & Certification Council's certification, performance rating and listing programs for solar heating & cooling products in North America.

Sure getting a panel certified for performance is good, but why does the organization require solar companies to pay over $1000 per product per year to remain on their list every year?

It is so they can make money, the rule makes panel prices higher and does not protect consumers at all.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by meridiansolar
            if a solar company spends the money and time to get certifed by UL, why should they have to get recertifed by FSEC? Is there something special about solar panels in florida, of course not.
            Because it is Florida tax payer money being used to subsidize the installations. The state of Florida can put any limitations and certifications they desire. It is called State Rights.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

One of the major problems with small residential wind in the past has been the lack of a certifying agency - virtually all the new companies were making extravagant claims to access more rebate/incentive money.

These agencies are a good deal - the cost is minimal really (for a real supplier) and is spread over many sales. The buyer has some protection.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Stingervf
                • Aug 2011

no florida money

In fact I checked because the only way it is Cost effective is to have rebate or tax incentives but Florida has no money for pv they have money for solar water heaters ,energy saver bulbs and others along those lines but no pv I checked with one contractor for a 2000 watt system it was 25000.00 how long would that take to pay for itself. The Main problem with Fsec is they have tested old and out of date panels not having the newer more efficient panels on their site so you can't use them.Also they don't have the grid tie inverters broken out so you can request a panel with a certain inverter. there site seems to be out dated. maybe thats why I don't see any Solar panels being used here........Sad

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Stingervf
                  I checked with one contractor for a 2000 watt system it was 25000.00 how long would that take to pay for itself.
                  Depends on a few factors mainly location, how much you pay per Kwh, and how much the utility credits you for excess production.

Just to run some numbers assuming Orlando area and FPL rates of $0.13/Kwh with Net Metering. Your system will generate roughly 8.5 Kwh per day or $1.10 per day. So assuming the last 10 years rise in electric rates of 1.6% per year would take roughly 55 years before it pays for itself. Invest that same $25K and in 20 years you are a millionaire.

Originally posted by Stingervf
                  The Main problem with Fsec is they have tested old and out of date panels
                  There is no such thing as an out of date solar panel, the basic design has not changed one bit in 50 years. They are mature technology. Newer panels are more efficient, but that only means slightly less space.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

25,000$ for a 2 kW system? The contractor is trying to get rich on one sale.

Most places in the world don't offer any special deal for solar PV or solar thermal. For example here there is no FIT, subsidies, rebates or incentives.

In spite of no incentives you still see solar thermal water heaters on most roofs.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...