Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a legitimate MPPT Charge Controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a legitimate MPPT Charge Controller?

image.png

EDIT: I found that it PROBABLY ISN'T! AVOID!!!
    Last edited by goombah111; 05-22-2021, 04:30 PM.

Nope. It is not an MPPT type CC

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      Nope. It is not an MPPT type CC
      Type CC?

Is this an MPPT?

image.png

It has an inductor but I can't find much info about it.

Does MPPT mean it converts Volts to Amps? I need a 46v panel to work with 12v setup without losing all those watts. I'm okay losing some efficiency.
      Attached Files

Comment

the $64 controller does not appear to be a real MPPT controller . Sorry.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by goombah111 View Post

Type CC?

Is this an MPPT?

image.png

It has an inductor but I can't find much info about it.

Does MPPT mean it converts Volts to Amps? I need a 46v panel to work with 12v setup without losing all those watts. I'm okay losing some efficiency.
          Type CC = charge controller.

As Mike indicates most true MPPT type CC's are not cheap. And all CC's really don't convert volts to amps.

Although a true MPPT will use all of the WATTS coming in and convert them to amps and send them to the battery for charging. While a PWM CC will convert the amount of AMPS that the panels are rated for and send them to the battery. So if the panels are rated more than 17V DC then you lose about 33% of the amps going to the battery.

I got the two types of CC's mixed up and have corrected my post.

Simple rule of thumb: MPPT is Watts in = Watts out, and PWM is Amps in = Amps out.
          Last edited by SunEagle; 05-26-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I got an Epever 20a MPPT controller for 63$, will it convert volts to amps?

PWM takes high volts and converts to amps? I thought it didnt?

another question that brings up, my panels get full volts in super low sun but need full sun to get max amps. Sounds like high volts is the most effective route in this case, any issues with that theory?
            Last edited by goombah111; 05-25-2021, 10:35 AM.

Comment

High voltage can't do anything for you if it can't provide current. In low light the voltage will only be high if there is no load on the panel. Current capability rises with more sun exposure.

A simple way to describe PWM vs MPPT is that PWM puts whatever current the panel is capable of into the battery, and the MPPT puts whatever power the panel is capable of into the battery.

See if this video helps. Amy used to be an active member here but I haven't seen her in a while. I thought her contributions were pretty good.

https://www.altestore.com/diy-solar-...e-controllers/
              Last edited by sdold; 05-25-2021, 12:54 PM.

Comment

If the controller ever puts out more current than the panels input, it is transforming
                the power and most likely MPPT. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
                  High voltage can't do anything for you if it can't provide current. In low light the voltage will only be high if there is no load on the panel. Current capability rises with more sun exposure.
                  what is load on a solar panel? The panel "charges" my batteries until the sun is basically gone but the amps go way down in low sun to the point where it might as well not be charging at all. I imagine it's wishful thinking to assume you can get more total watts with the same sun but i'm a dreamer.

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                  If the controller ever puts out more current than the panels input, it is transforming
                  the power and most likely MPPT. Bruce Roe
                  Right, wondering if this will actually do that to any extent. Ended up getting an epever but still curious about this T20. It has an inductor unlike the other fakes by this brand. If I had more money I would buy it just to see.

Comment

Working...
                  X