Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charlitron
    • Jun 2009

$160 = a Compact, Durable, and Portable Solar Energy Generator

For under $160 you can construct a Solar Photovoltaic Renewable Electron Encapsulator (SPREE) to harness clean carbon-free solar electricity to power your portable electronic devices.

SPREE is an experiment in alternative energy and solar generated electricity.The impetus for construction was the desire to have my cellular phone and other small electronics run entirely from free* renewable solar energy.

Check all the necessary supplies, detailed photos, and step by step instructions here:

-------
    STEP 1
    -------
    Gather Components for S.P.R.E.E.
    The components are very basic, involving a photovoltaic panel, a rechargeable battery, a charge controller, and the sun. You should not spend more that $160, unless money is no object to you. Not the case for me.

5-watt, 12-volt photovoltaic panel, $36, eBay, Solar Cynergy: PV-SC005J17
    1/4" mono plug (2), $1, allelectronics.com, SPH
    DC solar charge controller, $28, allelectronics.com, SCN-2
    12-volt 12-AH rechargeable battery, $40, allelectronics.com, GC-1214
    10-feet of 18-gauge wire, $3, allelectronics.com, WRB-18
    cigarette lighter "Y" adapter, $4, allelectronics.com, CLP-Y
    200-watt power inverter, $17, walmart.com, 001088173
    plastic box with split folding lids, $5, target medium bin
    wood/hardware for mounting, $4, lowe's, 1x3x4, screws

This leaves about $22 for random parts, upgrades, accessories, shipping fees and taxes.

Necessary tools: Power drill and creativity.

-------
    STEP 2
    -------
    Construct a Box For S.P.R.E.E.
    I selected a plastic bin with a split opening lid worth $5 at Target. I picked it because it was cheap, durable, easy to modify, and relatively weather-proof. Drill plenty of holes in it to provide airflow. I also drilled holes to add bungee cords to hold the battery secure. And, I drilled a hole for the mono jack to go into the box, leaving the cigarette socket outside of the box.

Be creative. Hollow out an old TV or CRT monitor and use that as your box.

-------
    STEP 3
    -------
    Wire S.P.R.E.E.
    The wiring is very simple and intuitive. Basically, the photovoltaic panel and the battery are connected to the charge controller.

The charge controller has a 12 volt output. This output is in the form of a 1/4 inch mono jack. The first step involves cutting off the cigarette lighter plug from the Y-adapter and soldering the mono plug to the cigarette lighter socket. (Since it was a Y adapter, and there was 2 sockets, I made 2 mono-plug-to cigarette-socket "connectors", one as a backup) Make sure to test your connections.

Connect the photovoltaic panel to the charge controller. Insert the 1/4 inch mono jack into the 12 volt output of the charge controller. Check your connections again.

I drilled a hole in the plastic box top, and then attached 2 wooden boards to the top of the box. I then attached the photovoltaic panel to 1/2 inch square wooden dowels. I then created a hinge using speaker wire and screws, which holds the photovolatic panel secure yet allows tilt from 90 to 180 degrees. Then I drilled another hole and inserted the mono jack and left the 12 volt cigarette lighter outside of the housing, but made a holster for it by using a zip-tie.

-------
    STEP 4
    -------
    Energize S.P.R.E.E.
    After all connections have been made ,double check them and test them with a multimeter before connecting to the battery.

Connect the red wire to the positive (+) terminal of the battery, then connect the black wire to the negative (-) terminal of the battery.

Note: The photovoltaic panel will charge the battery even when the charge controller is OFF. The charge controller has to be in the ON position to power 12-volt cigarette lighter socket.

-------
    STEP 5
    -------
    Utilize S.P.R.E.E. then Rejoice in Clean Renewable Energy
    Place S.P.R.E.E. in the sunshine to charge the battery.

Adjust the photovoltaic panel at an angle roughly equal to your latitude for optimum electron encapsulation. Check out U.S. Gazetteer to find your latitude and check your angle with a protractor.

At night, bring it inside, and plug your 12 volt electronics into the cigarette lighter socket to charge. OR, get an DC to AC inverter. It will use some of the electricity to convert the energy, but you will be able to charge AC electronics. Although, it would be more efficient to use DC electronics with this small scale system.

Smile and know that you are using only clean carbon free energy when you talk on your cell phone, take photos with your digital camera, or play PSP.
  • Jason
    Administrator
    • Dec 2008

thanks for tutorial charlitron. very nice writeup. would you be available to answer members questions here at the forum by chance? thanks again and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

That's a LOT of work for 5 Watts of solar. I built a Monolith with a 64W panel, which can actually recharge a deep cycle battery, and has been used all over several states.

Instructions Link: Solar Monolith 5/2011 updated
      Done before youtube, so you have to settle for text instructions.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mike90250; 05-28-2011, 05:29 PM.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• MarineLiner
        Solar Skipper
        • May 2009

The More choices, the Happier members and visitors

Thanks for sharing to all.
        I think, The More choices, the happier members and visitors who can get more benefit from this great forum.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Working...