Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HadrianKross
    • Sep 2019

Solar Roof (portable)

Currently looking at rain covers for bikes, motorcycles, and scooters...solar on top.

Similar to this: “Universal Motor Scooter Blue Umbrella Mobility Sun Shade Rain Cover” (ebay)

I have very brittle ebay cells.

Trying to avoid glass (weight) but bad reviews for plexi/acrylic...

EVA film? Laminate? Etc?

Anyone ever try an airtight glass case? Results? Maybe too heavy...

Best option for this seems to be encasing them in epoxy...but that just turns into planned obsolescence (not maintainable)—maybe not as sinister, but you’re still planning to replace it, not maintain it... Plus those still crack afaik. I guess you could cut out a bad cell, but I was hoping to do something more modular...

Bypass diodes are Maxim MAX20800/MAX20801 (2.80$)

Cells are chipped 1.8w (0.5v@3.6a) (so ~1.6w) (120 for 50$)

Looking for lightweight—not necessarily flexible—solutions for portable rain cover(s).

I’m open to trailer solutions too, but it seems easier to install (or intrinsic) shock absorption on the supports for a roof than a bouncy bike trailer...

also doing a battery box radiator + aquarium heater (maybe programmable for different types of batteries). I think it’s 68f for SLA. Basic computer fan for cooling. It’s mainly for the winter though. No clue how efficient that will be, esp. at night—still off solar. I mean will you waste all your charge from the panels on keeping them at an efficient temperature at night. What about 20 degree weather during the day? Any calculations (curves, data, etc.) for temperature and efficiency? Different batteries? Types of heater solutions used, etc. When to switch to a more efficient heat source (non-electric)?

Thanks.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Most DIY ventures, especially with floor sweepings cells, are just going to be science experiments that will stop working in a year. Fun to do, and watch them work for a bit, but they are not going to last
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• HadrianKross
      • Sep 2019

So laminator?

Ok, np.

Tell me about AR coatings, for the later iterations. (better cells, etc.)

Any alternatives to tempered glass?

What’s the best portable panel I can build with current technology?
      Non-amorphous...

also, I’ve been looking for youtube videos and websites talking about the annealing process without any luck. mainly laser cutting...

edit: uh, actually these appear to be post heat treated (annealed?) and post cut... so...something messed up in the heating OR the cutting—hence the chips and embrittlement. Wouldn’t they be annealed as very large sheets THEN painted and cut? You wouldn’t laser treat after (conductive) painting would you? Not every manufacturer is the same... Check out the broken cell panel on youtube...dirt cheap...less than mine.

edit: grammar
      Last edited by HadrianKross; 09-30-2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...