Need help with DIY panels, only getting half power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with DIY panels, only getting half power

Hi,i am new here.i made diy solar panel 800w and solar cell efficiency is 21.6% and each panel out working volt 11 and 7.5Amp.here temperature is 40C.everyday generating 2.5unit to 3unit.i used 4mm glass and slygard 184 encapulation.max power output half.why i am getting half power.i used mppt 40amp and 24volt system.please help

Originally posted by gaurav View Post
    Hi,i am new here.i made diy solar panel 800w and solar cell efficiency is 21.6% and each panel out working volt 11 and 7.5Amp.here temperature is 40C.everyday generating 2.5unit to 3unit.i used 4mm glass and slygard 184 encapulation.max power output half.why i am getting half power.i used mppt 40amp and 24volt system.please help
    Is your voltage or current lower than expected?

As a test, take an unencapsulated cell (hopefully you have one or two left) and use that as a reference. Compare your panel to that (multiply voltage by N cells of course) by measuring Isc and Voc. Then do the same behind a sheet of glass in case the glass is unexpectedly filtering part of the spectrum. Make sure the temperatures are similar when you compare the two.

Comment

Could you describe the method you used to calculate the 21.6 % efficiency ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        Could you describe the method you used to calculate the 21.6 % efficiency ?
        That is probably what the seller of those cells told him.

Comment

Without linking the listing from eBay here's the title, Most listings of these sunpower cells listed boast this efficiency.

10 Pcs 3.34W C60 DIY Kit Flexible Solar Cell Sunpower Maxeon 21.8 High Efficiency.

Cell efficiency and finished panel efficiency are two completely different things.
          Last edited by littleharbor; 09-02-2018, 07:35 PM.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Is your glass Low Iron glass, or simply stuff from the hardware store ? Low Iron glass is more transparent to the light than regular glass
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Need help, i have 9 panels Mono 300w Open-circuitVoltage(Voc) 40.10v and Short-circuitCurrent(Isc) 10.23A, and want to add a Poly panels of 315W Open-circuitVoltage(Voc) 46.2 and Short-circuitCurrent(Isc) 9.01A.

Can i use theme together in serial connection??, pls need som help, thanks a lot

Comment

I used low iron glass here is link https://www.environdec.com/Detail/?Epd=11718

Comment

As I told here I have 800w solar panels and each solar panel voc 13v and 7.5 Amp in 40 to 50 degeree Celsius and 30 degrees Celsius at each solar panel give 8.34Amp.

Comment

Total voc is low 88volt.it should be 104 but showing 88volt and then I connect mppt then volt showing 69volt and 6Amp.

Comment

As you have discovered, there is the possibility of so many failure points in DIY panels, all I can say is that I hope you have not invested much money in them
                      Most cells sold as surplus, are production line rejects, and are not prime cells
                      Soldering properly and cleaning residue is difficult
                      Sealing the panels to prevent moisture degradation is impossible without a vacuum heat sealer system
                      Any of these faults, along with wiring mistakes, leads to trouble.

Trouble shooting starts with testing each panel by itself, under load.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I found it extremely difficult to get 6 inch square (4W) cells working without any fatal cracks
                        developing. The only success I had at all was with 3 X 6 (2W) cells. Encapsulated, but a
                        test point was put at the end of every column to help tracking down faulty cells (which I then
                        shorted out to salvage the rest). Bruce Roe

Comment

I used NSP 6inch high efficiency 21.6% made in taiwan solar cell.I invested 2100$ for 800w solar system(off grid).only slygard for 700$ and 500$ for solar cell5.37w(160pcs) low iron glass 200$.I used 15SQ045 bypass diode.each solar panel have 20pcs solar cell and two bypass diode installed.Should i install ideal diode for block reverse current/volt?

Comment

in short i am getting loss in Amp.here is solar cell detail:-Max. Power:5.37W,Material:Monocrystalline,Open-circuit Voltage :0.699V,Filling Factor(FF):83.59%,Open-circuit Current:9.908A,Conversion Efficiency:21.6%,Working Voltage:0.597V,Working Current:9.456A.

Comment

Originally posted by gaurav View Post
                              . . 500$ for solar cell5.37w(160pcs) . . .
                              So you spent $500 for 860 watts of solar cells. If you are just doing this for fun, great - but you should probably be aware that you can solar for cheaper than that in finished panels. Prices in the US were 55 cents a watt before the tariffs, now they are up at about 70 cents a watt.

Comment

Working...
                              X