Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Science fair solar project....What kind of lighting is needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science fair solar project....What kind of lighting is needed.

I am trying to help my daughter with her science fair project. The project is on solar panels and the power that is produced. Since the science fair is going to be inside we need to find an alternative source of lighting to power her small solar panels.
    She has two panels one with a small fan and one with a meter. I can get the fan to run with direct sunlight but not with artificial lights.

We have tried led grow lights, regular led and other common household lights. Any suggestions on what type of bulb we could buy to power her project.

Thanks for any help.

Erik Robbins

Halagon bulbs work pretty well, but they are getting hard to find.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Not going to work.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

I have gotten decent output with a halogen spot shining directly on a 6 inch by 6 inch cell. That is
        about the intensity you will need. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          Halagon bulbs work pretty well, but they are getting hard to find.
          Halogen work lights and spare bulbs are readily available at your local Home Depot or Lowes or similar type store.
          I would definitely want spare bulbs on hand of same wattage.
          And I'd be looking at how to prevent potential burns - those things get hot.
          If you can use 250W or 300W instead of 500W, use the smaller wattage.

Comment

Thank you for the ideas I'll let you know how it works tomorrow .

Comment

Working...
            X