Panel building ideas for temporary use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panel building ideas for temporary use

Already have a bunch of cells and need to build a panel for topping off equipment batteries when I am in the field. They dont't need to be weather proof or sealed very well, I will be bringing them in when I leave for the day. I Now use some 10w panels form China, they look like the cells are glued to a backboard the thickness of a circut board and appears to be a thin coat of something clear [glue] over the cells, maybe exoxy or similar. They are ok but only deliver .6 amp per panel to a 12v battery. I have enough cells to build a several larger panels and need something lightweight and easily transported. Im not sure how the cells on the Ebay panels are sealed, but I like them and they have been working for 3-4 years now without any problems, Just not sure what they use to seal the cells, I have a lot of solar lights that yellow over time but these panels stay clear. Anyone ever built panels this way, or type quick and easy diy panels please let me know.

You are pretty much on your own here. PV cells are fragile and need to be mounted to something rigid, if they flex, they crack, sometimes invisibly.This is why glass is used for the frontside and vacuum laminated with hot melt EVA . maybe price out a 50 or 100 w panel for charging batteries, instead of building one that will only work a couple years
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Do yourself a favor and save yourself a lot of grief and money, buy a manufactured panel.
      Last edited by Sunking; 12-17-2017, 01:05 PM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
      X