Emergency backup system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency backup system

OK I have some questions duh. Just need to know if this will work. I am getting 4 190w 24v solar panels 1 80amp mppt charge controller 1 3000w inverter and 6 6v 225ah batteries wired for 12 volt . I know how to do parallel and series and I'm familiar with how to wire both I live in central FL . Now will this charge controller handle this? and how should I wire my panels in parallel or series? And will I need a diode.

makes little to no sense to wire 6X6v batteries in parallel for 12v. Have you done any research?

Comment

For the space I have it's going to be 6 6v batteries wired into three 12v and those 3 12v wired parallel to make a 12v 675ah battery bank for my area this is the most cost effective bank I can build.

Comment

Personally I would wire the panels as 2s2p. Charge controller is more than adequate for this. No diode needed. I would get 2 more batteries and create a 2 string 24 volt bank and get a 24 volt inverter. Why do you need a 3000 watt inverter? If you do need it for start up surges, fine but 12 volt @ 3000 watts is hazardous. I would also add a couple more panels to bring up your charging rate.

Without knowing anything of your loads and daily power consumption this is just a suggestion to set up what you have.

2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Thanks little harbor the inverter is very nice for twelve volt it is specifically designed for use in semi trucks I am very familiar with it but my load is just to start up a well pump it will be used just for power outages to have water and possibly a small freezer and the pump is not always running it turns on to build pressure and then shuts down but you do suggest two more panels to decrease charging time and run those in groups of 2s and then tie those in parallel to the charge controller and this whole setup is going to be on wheels except for the panels when it's done I will link a YouTube video so y'all can see

Comment

Littleharbor I do appreciate your input

Comment

Yea, you are stuck inside the 12 volt box. good luck with it.

Comment

If in the future I decided to to 24v it's just an inverter swap and a few more batteries

Comment

Depending on the model of that 80A MPPT and the Voc of the 190w panels the OP might be able to get away with wiring all 4 of the panels in series to the CC. Otherwise going with 2 strings of 2 will work.

The 6 x 6v for a 12v system will be a problem down the line with so many batteries wired in parallel but for a couple of years it will get you what you need although there are cheaper emergency power backup systems for much less then what you plan on spending.

Comment

Originally posted by Minfante View Post
                    For the space I have it's going to be 6 6v batteries wired into three 12v and those 3 12v wired parallel to make a 12v 675ah battery bank for my area this is the most cost effective bank I can build.
                    No it is not, you are stuck inside a 12 volt box. When you parallel batteries, you cut the service life in HALF. That means you will be replacing the batteries in the near future makin git way more expensive.

A 12 volt 3000 watt Inverter is a ticking time bomb guaranteed to start a fire. A 12 volt 675 AH battery cannot supply 300 amps of current, nor can you connect a 4/0 cable to the Inverter which is required for 300 amps.

Based on your panels and panel wattage you should be looking at a 24 volt 225 AH battery with a 30 Amp MPPT charger and a 1000 watt 24 volt Inverter. For the batteries use the 4 of the 6-volt Golf Cart 225 AH batteries wired in series. Best advice you will ever get, and it wil work and be safe. Be Sure to attach fuses directly on the battery term post, 40 amp fuses with #8 AWG wire back to the controller and 50 amp fuses to the Inverter using #6 AWG wire. Both of us will sleep better at night knowing you do not have a time bomb in the house.

Although the drawing below if for an RV, the schematic will give you a good idea of what I am talking about. In you case the panels will be wired 2S2P, 4 batteries in series, and system voltage will be 24 volts. It is the correct and safe way to wire your system.

Last edited by Sunking; 03-09-2017, 01:38 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

What types of power back up are you talking about cheaper is sometimes better

Comment

Originally posted by Minfante View Post
                        What types of power back up are you talking about cheaper is sometimes better
                        Depends on how often your power goes out and how big your loads is. If it was me I would purchase a quiet inverter style generator in the 2000 watt range. It will be much cheaper in the long run to have it sitting around waiting on a power outage then to have a set of batteries sitting or even being used daily.

Comment

Working...
                        X