How scratch and weather resistant are the new small flexible panels?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anixon604
    • Feb 2017

How scratch and weather resistant are the new small flexible panels?

I'm wanting to get a panel for automotive trickle charging (somewhere around 13-18v at < 1A) and put it on either my car hood or roof. Considering that I want to accommodate a mild curve and am looking into flexible panels and that it will be susceptible to small rocks, rain, etc. Does anyone know if the run of the mill inexpensively sourced panels is constructed with a protective coating? Or whether I can just apply a resin or clear after installation?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

The true flexible panels, (the kind you can roll up) can take a lot of abuse. You shouldn't have to worry about any additional protection.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

If you choose to add any kind of coating to a solar PV panel, either rigid or flexible you have several things to worry about:

1. The coating will absorb some of the incident light and reflect some of it. Less reaches the panel.
      2. If the panel has an anti-reflection coating, anything on top will keep it from working properly.
      3. The solvent in what you add may be incompatible with the existing surface of the panel.
      4. It may expand at a different rate from the panel under it, causing either flaking or damage.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...